New boiler electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could any of you electricians please answer a couple of questions about CH boiler electrics?

When a new replacement boiler is fitted (straight swap in the same location), what electrical inspection or test should be performed? Is this notifiable work and if so, what sort of documentation should be issued by the electrician performing the work, and when?

If an existing room thermostat (wired) is replaced by a new wireless thermostat base station and thermostat (with a small additional run of mains supply from existing circuit), what inspection/test/documentation should be performed and supplied? I assume that this is notifiable work?

I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I work for a large heating installer.

We only issue certificates if a spur and/or bonding is installed.

No paperwork is left if we use existing power supply.

Fitting control gear to a boiler (like your roomstat) is not notifiable afaik.

Not sure on the boiler itself, but i think like for like replacement of equipment is ok?

When a new replacement boiler is fitted (straight swap in the same location), what electrical inspection or test should be performed?
If you're not making any change to the circuit loading that requires the cable or protective device to be replaced, and are connecting using an existing plug/socket or an FCU, then none.

Is this notifiable work
Not under Part P, but pre-notification of the installation of a heat-producing gas appliance is required unless it's installed by someone who can self-certify and post-notify.

If an existing room thermostat (wired) is replaced by a new wireless thermostat base station and thermostat (with a small additional run of mains supply from existing circuit), what inspection/test/documentation should be performed and supplied?
If it's not in a special location, then none.

I assume that this is notifiable work?
Unless it's in a special location, then no.

Sponsored Links
FYI, "like for like replacement" is not a phrase that appears in any of the legislative regulation documents.

Part P says (page 8 )

"..............replacement, repair and maintenance jobs are generally not notifiable. Even if carried out in a special location or associated with a special location".

Schedule 2B says:

1. Work consisting of -

(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does
not include the provision of—

(i) any new fixed cabling; or

(ii) a consumer unit;

Which applies anywhere in the house, regardless if its in a bathroom or kitchen.

Then:

1. (f) in heating or cooling systems -

(i) replacing control devices that utilise existing fixed
control wiring or pneumatic pipes;

(ii) replacing a distribution system output device;

(iii) providing a valve or a pump;

(iv) providing a damper or a fan;

Again, doesnt matter if thats in a special location, as the special location only applies to section two.

So replacing a boiler, and chnging a room stat for a wireless one has no part p notification requirements, even if its in a kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back