New boiler fitted ..should this pipe be permanently connected ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter 5 days ago had a Valiant boiler fitted...she just recently found her towels,sheets etc wet in the cupboard where boiler was fitted..she rang me to tell me,so I went to check the pipe connections and I found what I believe is the DRAINAGE pipe was not fixed permanently (it had pulled out on its own of where it connects) and occasionally a stream of water empied into her cupboard soaking everything...please see pics of the pipe (the white plastic one) the boiler is a VALIANT ECOTEC PLUS 182 ....the pipe had come away from the fitting on the boiler itself....can anyone tell me if the pipe should have been clipped on or so vent welded on permanent so as not to be able to slip off its connector ?..she has notified the company about the leak but did not know at the time what was causing it

Attachments

• 20171028_145233.jpg
    20171028_145233.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 239
  • 20171028_145255.jpg
    20171028_145255.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 20171028_153303.jpg
    20171028_153303.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 228
Sponsored Links
Thy do have a habit of falling off if slightly knocked.

That small horizontal stretch of pipe would be a good spot for a securing clip.

Sponsored Links
Hi yes I agree and thanks for the info but I just needed to know if it should have been permanently connected at installation. ..thank you anyway

Tell her wash everything quickly, little bit more than just clean water there hence why it`s run in plastic and not copper pipe.

Stop giving him more advice he JUST wanted to know if it needed to be connected permanently.... :rolleyes:

What a load of twaddle, condensate is no more acidic than tomato juice.

Lemon juice is only slightly less acidic than sulphuric acid, but I doubt you'll be drizzling that on your salad any time soon you doughnut

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that condensate could cause some slight staining to certain materials, so it's good advice to recommend washing them quickly.

You're the only one talking about them melting.

I worked on a cascade boiler installation and the condensate had been run in 2" galvanised steel pipe, the condensate had rotted through it and caused all the paint on the floor to bubble and blister, it is nasty stuff, in Italy and boiler configuration above 35KW must have a condensate neutralizer installed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back