new boiler makes pump run 24/7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Had a new boiler fitted (EVO HE H12 never heard of them before) and for some reason the pump is running continuously even though the water and central heating are turned off. Tried turning off power to boiler. Pump stopped. Turn power back on and pump starts up straight away with Heating and water both turned off.

Fitter assures me this is normal????

Am I being fobbed off?

Sponsored Links
Dogbiscuit (is that your real name?), the EVO is /was made by Ideal boilers, so you should try their web site www.idealboilers.com/.

In any case the installer should have left the manufacturers instructions with you, as well as the blue "logbook", with all the details you need to check these things. Was the installer Corgi registered?

It cannot be normal and is in contravention of energy efficiency regulations.

Call your local Building Control Officer and see if the installer notified them or was a cowboy.

Did you pay him in cash without any receipt or do you have his full name and address?

T

Hi there. DogBiscuit my real name??? No but I've been called worse....

Fitter was Corgi registered. Left Instructions and Log book but can't find any reference to whether the pump should over run or run continuously.

Agile, I do have a receipt and his name and address. Boiler was only fitted two days ago so dont know whether Building Control Officer was notified?....

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys. Had the fitter back and he apologised for having wired the pump to a permanent feed rather than through the control unit.
Everything seem to be OK now :D

Note that with the proper installers details the fitter put it right. that would not have happened with a cowboy.

It is worrying that he told the customer that the pump running continuously was "normal". Any competent installer would know that was incorrect!

Tony

Agile said:
Note that with the proper installers details the fitter put it right. that would not have happened with a cowboy.

It is worrying that he told the customer that the pump running continuously was "normal". Any competent installer would know that was incorrect!

Tony

Some boilers do have the option to make the pump run 24/7 - Atag and Viessmann. Its explained to prevent freezing, although I can't see it necessary if people are living in the house.

Quite a few boilers have this as an option, presumably for special applications. Most of these models already have frost protection built in.

One application for example could be if the boiler was in the house but also heating an outdoor gym, swimming pool, garage or greenhouse etc. In this case it could not be assumed the other area was not freezing so a 24 hr pump option would be useful but then only during cold weather so that facility would properly be controlled by a froststat or manually as required.

Tony

Thats what i love about you Agile always slag the installer straight away without giving him benefit off the doubt that they may have made a genuine error. Must be so hard being perfect.

Namsag, we all know that there are a lot of incompetent and unscrupulous installers out there, irrespective of being Corgi registered or not. So I think Tony's (Agile's) tendency to suspect shoddy installation is entirely justified.

Of course we all make genuine mistakes, but even then I for one value Tony's quick response in pointing these out (as he has done with me this very evening!). We all benefit from having our expertise tested. It keeps us on our toes.

The fault described could have simply been a microswitch sticking in a motorised valve which can happen ,agile has the guy as a cowboy and to contact building inspector etc. As it happens the guy put one wire in the wrong place try following some manufacturers wiring diagrams worcester cbi as an example and you will see how easy it is for the honest working guy to make a mistake and upset a customer without someone saying on an internet site they are a cowboy.

I accept what you say, but the main point is that the installer, when asked about the pump running continuously, said that this was normal (see first post). If he was competent, he would have known that this was not normal. At least he should have double checked his wiring (where the mistake was), which he didn't do. For this reason I think he deserves any criticism he got.

Its difficult for those of us who do not know anything about gas appliances when we have a problem. We have to rely on you guys to give us sound advice. We don't know who to trust and it is nice sometimes to 'support your local tradesman'.

This whole boiler episode sprung from me needing to have the flue moved so that I could erect a conservatory. The boiler is in the corner of the kitchen and the flue was coming out of the side of the boiler through the wall. The flue had to be changed to come out of the back so that it exited from the wall behind rather than at the side.

When the guy came round he said that it may be worthwhile getting a new boiler as the old one would have to be drained, removed and refitted. (Is a nine year old Baxi solo 40pf so bad?).

I don't know!?!

He has completed the log book for the boiler saying that the system was flushed but i don't think it was. It seemed like he just drained it at the boiler then filled it again. He has ticked yes for 'inhibitor' but I never saw him put anything in anywhere.

When it came to wiring the boiler he went upstairs and seemed to be just switching wires till he found a combination that worked. :eek: Maybe it's just me.

I don't know whether to trust him or not. He seemed quite genuine but I don't think I'd use him again.

How many quotes did you get.

What determined your choice.

How much did you pay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back