New Boiler Making Loud Clicking Sound - Is The Flue Right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm a newbie on this site. I had a look around for previous posts and this was the closest one I could find, but no definitive answer:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1479516

Had a new Vaillant Ecotec boiler fitted the other week, and now it keeps making a loud clicking noise about every other minute when the boiler is doing the central heating. Not just when it's fired up, but even after for a while, and only stops when it's not being fired up for a while.

I'm pretty sure that this is not heat expansion noise coming from the boiler, my gut instinct is that this is some kind of mechanical clicking noise and I'm a bit concerned that the flue that they set up is not quite right as it is very different from the flue that was fitted previously on the old boiler (I have attached a picture of the new flue arrangement) and this would tie in with the suggested problems indicated in the thread I linked to above. Basically, the old flue outlet was just a short out pipe, not the black out, up, and out on an angle in the attached image.

I rent the property if that's relevant, and I presume that any work and the new boiler is covered by some sort of guarantee. More important than that, I'm paranoid I'll get carbon monoxide poisoned if the flue's not right.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bomber.

Sponsored Links
That looks like a plume diverter kit. Installed a bit strangely though.
Is there a parallel wall opposite yours with the flue within a couple of metres?

Not sure about the clicking, does sound like it could be expansion/contraction noises.
When the boiler comes on, does the clicking start off fast, then slow down? Does it stop after the boiler has been on a while?

by the looks of it the plume management system (snorkel) as its known has been fitted by the looks of it to meet the standards on the distance from a drain pipe to the flue termination which has to be a minimum of 150mm for a fanned flue which the valliant is and the old boiler could have been fitted before this regulation was, it is hard to see from the angle of your picture but that would be my guess there are many regulations concerning flue termination so it could be any of the others also a front on picture would help, you will not get Co poisoning as the boiler is room sealed so it is almost impossible and i agree with the other remark that it is most likely the metal heating up and down but difficult to say without hearing for my self

Apart from the plume management not clipped to the wall,as far as I can tell,it looks from your photo that its fitted to stop the plume blowing across the window.I ,m surprised your installer did,nt explain that to you

Sponsored Links
Apart from the plume management not clipped to the wall,as far as I can tell,it looks from your photo that its fitted to stop the plume blowing across the window.I ,m surprised your installer did,nt explain that to you

Unless my eyes are deceiving me it looks like theres a clip 1/4 of the way down from the top :LOL:

Unless my eyes are deceiving me it looks like theres a clip 1/4 of the way down from the top :LOL:
indeed there is - and the Great British Gas Safe bodger strikes again :mrgreen:

Comparethepipework.com . Rainwater done by Plumber . Snorkel done by gassfitter - sees the differences ? Simples.

This is a bit of a long shot, as I also have a Vaillant Ecotec.

There is a relay which switches the pump off after a short time. Normally this is set to a default of five minutes, but it can be set as low as two minutes if parameter D1 has been altered by mistake.

This is the pump overrun timer and you can normally hear a click when the relay switches, the clue is that the pump will stop at the same time.

It could also be the boiler cycling. For example, if you have the flow temperature set to 70c, and if the temperature is rising very fast when the boiler fires up, then the boiler could cycle every 2.5 minutes. At 75c, this time reduces to 1 minute.

What temperature is the heating flow set to?

Keith

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back