New Boiler needed - some basic questions ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler desperately needs replacing. I have a standard set up (loft tank, cylinder, and boiler in kitchen).

Some basic questions:

1) I think I want the same set up, to avoid the costs of changing it all and I've also heard that this can sometimes be the best way... If you think I should switch to combi boiler, then why?

2) we plan on re-doing the shower, and want a good power shower. We have an electric one at present. Do I need to consider this as part of the choice in boiler?

3) I'm about to get companies round to quote... is there anything I should be asking?

4) Do I need a power flush? The house is a bit neglected so maybe it's worth doing?

5) Any brands to recommend?

There are two of us in the house, no kids and no plans to have any. We are out most of the day working full time. We have just one bathroom.

Anything else?

Thanks everyone,
G

Sponsored Links
My boiler desperately needs replacing. I have a standard set up (loft tank, cylinder, and boiler in kitchen).

Some basic questions:

1) I think I want the same set up, to avoid the costs of changing it all and I've also heard that this can sometimes be the best way... If you think I should switch to combi boiler, then why?

It'll be cheapest to keep the same setup, certainly, but given that there are only two of you and there is only one bathroom, a combi would be a sensible option that would give you mains-pressure hot water

2) we plan on re-doing the shower, and want a good power shower. We have an electric one at present. Do I need to consider this as part of the choice in boiler?
Yes, definitely. An electric shower is what it is, a shower running off a combi could potentially provide you with twice the flow rate of an electric shower. You could also fit a pump to your existing hot water cylinder, if you don't mind the noise of a pump when the shower is in use...

3) I'm about to get companies round to quote... is there anything I should be asking?
Ask what they advise, what they intend to do, and what's included

4) Do I need a power flush? The house is a bit neglected so maybe it's worth doing?
You need some sort of system clean to comply with the manufacturers warranty for your new boiler. A powerflush is the best way to achieve this

5) Any brands to recommend?

Intergas

There are two of us in the house, no kids and no plans to have any. We are out most of the day working full time. We have just one bathroom.

Anything else?

Thanks everyone,
G

power flush - be mindful of what they actually do, some as far as i am aware in and out quickly, this does not represent a power flush. I would also look to get recommendation from a know friend or colleague.
Price very important, but a proper job is what you want.

Just noticed Muggles is in the neighbouring county, could be reasonably local.

I personally hate combi boilers, and any plumber i know installs because they are the easiest option, not that they would want in there own house, they apparently have a much lower life span, for which the modern boilers are no match for the older ones in terms of life span. I had a potterton profile, shouldn't have changed it. The new condensing one, not really any more efficient, noisy, and will die long before the profile age.

As I see it, in your case, the advantages of sticking with a heat only boiler would be.

1. You won't have to get rid of your existing hot water cylinder and feed tanks, and possibly controls, which will speed installation, and be less disruptive.

2. Heat only boilers have a lot of components externally mounted. Diverter valves, hot water thermostat, programmer etc., these can be easily replaced by anyone with parts obtainable from plumbers merchants or DIY sheds. On the other hand, combi's generally have their equivalent components located inside, the components are often specific to the manufacturer and may require the attention of a gas safe registered engineer to replace them.

3 Combi’s can be slow to get hot water to the taps if the boiler is starting from cold. This is because the boiler has to heat itself first before it can heat any water.

4. Combi boilers often have a larger gas burner which is required in order to heat mains water from cold, so you may have to have a larger diameter gas supply pipe run from the meter to supply it. (Depending on location, this is often seen routed around the outside of houses)

5. Retaining your hot water cylinder means, you can have an immersion heater to provide hot water for when the boiler fails, and a cupboard you can use to 'air' clothes, or make beer or yogurt :D

6. Generally the cold main supplying a combi is a single 15mm pipe. That same pipe also feeds the cold taps, WC’s, washing machines, dishwashers, etc., If any of these are used at the same time as the hot water, the hot water flow will be reduced accordingly. With your existing hot water cylinder the tanks provide a stored supply of water, and are unaffected by the use of the cold water elsewhere.

...and the advantages of a combi:

1. Can provide mains pressure hot water with a good flowrate, provided no other demand is present (see 6 above)

2. Frees up space where your cylinder and tanks used to be.

3. There can be a small energy saving in the summer because of lost heat escaping from a cylinder. In the winter any escaping heat is not wasted as it helps heat the property. However, this benefit can be lost if the combi has a facility that keeps it warm permanently in case you need any hot water.

Sponsored Links
Arghhhh, all these points are very valuable, however still struggling to decide! haha.

The main points for me is:

1) cost

2) performance - so I want a good flow rate for a new shower when the bathroom is changed. As it's only me + gf, don't need to worry about others using the water, as we will just avoid using the water for 10-15 minutes.

3) reliability - want something that will last, with limited faults as long as it's serviced

Additionally, I want to know that once the new boiler is installed, the rest of the system is in good working order, and maintained.

I'd advise getting three quotes. Maybe even four, but not more.

Ask each plumber all your questions, without trying to second-guess. They're the experts.

If you try and specify exactly what you want, then that's what the plumber will quote for. Much better to let them advise you.

Ask them if they would advise combi or normal, where they would locate it (sometimes moving it will be cheaper - especially if you have an old style vertical flue), what size you need, what after care and guarantees you would get, and who would be doing the work.

Combis are great for smaller houses, but if you want a really powerful shower and loads of heat always on tap then nothing beats having a big old tank of water and a skin-scouring pump attached to it.

One other consideration with a combi is you will be closing off the system and having it under pressure. If your pipes are old a combi will find every pinhole and leak that your existing tank-fed system won't show. In my house that was enough to make me stick to an open-vented set up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back