New Boiler Problems

"Additionally while the water initially comes out hot with the hot tap on hard it goes a lot cooler fairly quickly."
This could be a faulty mixing valve, Is there a valve with 3 pipes going into it & an adjustment knob, hidden behind the red cylinder jacket somewhere ?

never seen a mixer valve on a combination cylinder!! (but i'm sure someone will find one to prove otherwise as they are sad and/or pedantic!!)

Sponsored Links
Yes as I said, it looks like a combi cylinder, but the OP says they get near mains pressure hot water from taps, so dhw supply is more than likely passing through some sort of heat exchanger making it a thermal store and hence the need for a tmv.

Would like to see what's behind the red jacket to left of cylinder.

Kevin, I took out a thermal store which looked just like that!

The top section was a header tank for the store and heating system.

I dont remember that one but I dont think there was any mixing valve on the outlet.

However, on another store I took out there was a mixing valve.

I am still concerned that this reg installer is apparently unable to determine whats wrong. That does not do much for the reputation of our trade.

Tony

Guys thanks everyone for all their comments and help.

There is a 3 way valve, it's actually to the right of the cylinder in the photo I posted. The installer is here at the moment and he's going to change it for me at no cost. He'd already come to the conclusion that it was probably the issue. I'm going to make sure he stays here until I'm happy this time!! :)

Unfortunately he's also here doing another "boiler" installation fix. The condenser outlet pipe froze on Thursday night when it was around -15 here so the boiler locked out and hasn't been working since. He's rerouting and putting extra lagging on the outlet pipework.....

Apparently this is the 8th job he's had to do like this this year with some people he did installs for 3 years ago having to call him back.

Once again though thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it's worked out.

Very impressed by this forum so far!

Sponsored Links
I suppose he used un-insulated 22 mm plastic pipe? No surprise if its frozen!

He should have insulated that size or used 32 mm pipe!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back