New boiler quote :- Seem ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget plumbers...if it wasn't for them everyone would be in the sh*t...literally.

Exactly, and they don't feel they owe it to their skills and hard work! and they do do I would say a fairly dirtyish job, as they have to deal with blocked drains, filthy sinks, so yes they go tops in my books and they deserve what they earn

And believe me anybody can be a qualified Doctor, whenever i go to my doctor for any problem, he tells me to take a Paracetamol!

Often I wonder why I bother waiting for my turn only to be told take paracetamol.

Sponsored Links
mike i think your doctor's trying to tell you something, you need to stop going , your not ill :D

Sponsored Links
Just to get this back on topic :p

Found this guy on mybuilder, lots of 5* review. Also after a little hunting found him on ratemybuilder...again good reviews on there.

When he came and quoted in all honesty he was out of the 5-6 ppl ive had he seemed the most clued up. Only 1 other person mentioned wiring in the pump for the overrun required. Without prompting he said that would have to be done.

Seems everyone thinks he is a good price, also my gut tells me he seems genuine. Got the backup of going though mybuilder as well.

Unfortunately people that advertise on those sort of sites often turn out to be not very good.

They work down to a price and not up to a standard.

You have to ask yourself why, if he's such good value, he isn't snowed under with recommendations.

When I go past a local traveller site on Sundays it's full of gas safe vans - they can't all be getting their boilers serviced on a Sunday. ;)

be careful with the likes of my builder..they make money selling the leads to the plumber...so any complaint is removed after about 5 hours...for the simple reason the plumber wont be able to buy the lead if he is not selected..

as ever recomendations are best...and most impartial website is Which Local...traders get no look in if they don't subscribe to Which and even then the tradesmen gets no right of reply as far as I know..

Yes gone down the recommendation route. The 2 gas people recommended to me didnt seem much cop.

1 said i wont require a powerflush and just putting some x400 in the system will clean it all out. My rads are badly slugged up so i feel a powerflush is defiantly needed.

Also when i asked about the pump overrun (i had read about this needed on the forum and reading the installers manual) for the 15ri they both said never heard of that before and sort of brushed it away as stupid talk they know better.

Never had much luck with getting anything professionally done in my house so maybe im due some luck...or not :confused:

The things you have to watch for are the promise that it will take two days - so must be a thorough job - usually ends up as one day. The power flush is a bit of a hose out rather than using a power flush machine. You can't rely on feedback off those sites - they remove the bad feedback. Those sites make their money from the tradesman - the tradesman is their customer - not you.
Be careful. Good luck.

OP, where the hell did you find one honest plumber? go for it and let me have his phone number.
Plenty on here - you can have my number - but even @ £10 an hour + fuel and congestion charge , by the time I get to you in the smoke from here , you`ll be £40 in :LOL:

I am a very generous person, whenever I am quoted silly prices, I will ask all the questions whether the guy will meet all my strict requirements as well as any regs, so onec the job is done, I usually pay quite a bit on top as well, in my recent case where I picked up any random RGI from yellow pages, and asked him to go to my Harlow house to issue me with a gas safe record, he obliged but said he would need to conduct service as well, his charges were very reasonable at 90 quid, when he finished, and said everything works well, and issued the safety record, I paid him 120quid!

But if the guys start quoting mad sums to begin with, then I am afraid I don't go that route unless he is exceptional, and the job requires that exceptionality.

I would say to OP, ifr he gets his boiler replaced for that price, and he has done a good job, I would go out of my lengths to pay him an extra 200quid for a job well done with no other hidden charges.

I am a very generous person, whenever I am quoted silly prices, I will ask all the questions whether the guy will meet all my strict requirements as well as any regs, so onec the job is done, I usually pay quite a bit on top as well, in my recent case where I picked up any random RGI from yellow pages, and asked him to go to my Harlow house to issue me with a gas safe record, he obliged but said he would need to conduct service as well, his charges were very reasonable at 90 quid, when he finished, and said everything works well, and issued the safety record, I paid him 120quid!

But if the guys start quoting mad sums to begin with, then I am afraid I don't go that route unless he is exceptional, and the job requires that exceptionality.

I would say to OP, ifr he gets his boiler replaced for that price, and he has done a good job, I would go out of my lengths to pay him an extra 200quid for a job well done with no other hidden charges.

Im from London Town Me ............ Honest as they come, Once Im down them apples & pears I always pay more for an honest days work guvnor
World was a better place when the Krays & the Richardsons was running the place ........... My ol gran always left her back door open ..... Blah blah blah ............... doing the lambeth walk !!

What A load of cr*p you come out with .... your not joe-90s Dad by any chance

No sherbet he is not talking crap.. there are some genuinely decent punters out there who want our services, may be you just don't attract them...

When he came and quoted in all honesty he was out of the 5-6 ppl ive had he seemed the most clued up. Only 1 other person mentioned wiring in the pump for the overrun required. Without prompting he said that would have to be done.

Whilst I know that must be done, I would never normally think of mentioning it to the customer. Thats because its part of the normal process of connecting the boiler and not an optional extra!

Pehaps I need to get more clued up in worthless sales spiel like some of the cowboys do!

Tony

what clients hate is being treated like a fool... we deal with technology that is used everyday and the clients more or less know what things do...or should do...

its not worthless sales spiel treating a client like a human...its just good business practice...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back