New boiler required.. looking for alternatives to installer recommended

We've accepted a quote actually. A guy came round yesterday and quoted 1800! (All in)

Boiler is a baxi main eco Elite. I know it's a budget boiler but we had a baxi in the last house and it was pretty good. And the installer said that the boiler brand doesn't really matter; the main thing is to keep the water clean using a chemical and service once every year.

Sorry.... But you're wrong.

You're paying the guy 1000£ to install a boiler that has AT BEST a 8 year life span.

Now....

Take a intergas..... Doesn't have a plate heat exchanger... So the 'dont need a flush' attitude only a rinse out.... Is much more applicable.

But... Ref your filter..... When you replace your car... Do you keep the buckled knackered alloys to save 75quid ?? Fernox.... A insurance claim waiting to happen.

Why come on a site asking experienced/intelligent installers advice.... Then state you've gone for the dirt cheapest option and to be honest... Sounds like youre trying to convince yourself you've made the right call.

Please get the installer to write the date and his price on the back of the boiler before he fits it. So that in X years when it's ripped off and replaced.... At least you'll be able to remind yourself of the price.

Sponsored Links
All boilers are disposable white boxes, buy cheap be prepaired to replace in 5-10years, it really doesn’t matter on the number of moving parts making a boiler more or less reliable. (Less parts-youd expect it to be cheaper or those parts better quality)
Every installer will have tales of woe about the competitions choice of boiler, for example I can tell you stories of failed fans, sticking gas valves, PCB’s and scale...and that boiler only has a couple of moving parts! (I see the gas manager of the biggest installed stock of this boiler in the UK and for what it’s worth they also fit Baxi)
As for flushing, lemon has a point, manufacturers don’t insist on a “power flush” they insist on a clean system as per the British standards, that same standard doesn’t say you MUST “power flush”.

Choose what fits your budget, there is no best or worst boiler, they all fail!

Last edited:
All boilers are disposable white boxes, buy cheap be prepaired to replace in 5-10years....

Presumably it’ll be comparatively cheaper to replace the boiler the second time round for the OP as it will just be a boiler change only. This time, if I’ve read the OP's post correctly, a proportion of the labour will be for altering the system and converting from a system boiler with hot water storage tank to a combi for the OP to get the extra space they wanted.

Sponsored Links
it really doesn’t matter on the number of moving parts making a boiler more or less reliable. (Less parts-youd expect it to be cheaper or those parts better quality)

One has to wonder what was compromised on the design in order to get a working combi boiler with only 4 moving parts.

One possible loser in getting that compromise is the absolute efficiency of the boiler. The rated efficiency on the glossy brochure is not the same as the absolute efficiency.

It is after all possible to have a boiler rated at more than 100% (xx) efficient on the glossy brochure even though about 250 watts of heat will be to atmosphere from the flue gases when ever the boiler is operating.

(xx) indicating that the rated efficiency has been calculated using an algorithm and provides a legal "defence" for the misleading claims of efficiency.

Maybe if you kept the cylinder and replaced only the boiler with another system boiler then pipe work alterations would be minimal and the total cost may come under your ( tight ) budget.

:sneaky: good advice :mrgreen: ,being tight results in a crap job :D

The funny thing is for years after bg started this powerflushing stuff everyone said it was a ripoff and never needed, now bg say it's actually hardly ever needed as they have to give advise to the insurance code standard, everyone seems to be saying it's imperative. I worked 20 years for bg and very rarely came across a system that really did need a powerflush, most that did have circulation problems needed sections replacing rather than flushing.

I think one of the reasons the OP wanted to do away with the cylinder was to gain some cupboard space, hence the conversion to a combi.

Thanks to all the pros that have clarified that a power flush is not a requirement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems I have been unlocked. Thank you

i do not reply to trolls for those of you waiting my response.

Any sensible posts will get a reply from me. But you must remain on topic and no BS allowed.

'the truth hurts' p diddy

You only started that line of reason when your position was demonstrated to be untenable.

Try actually reading the thread. If a powerflush is eliminated as an option from the outset on an installation, then alarm bells ring. It is really that simple.

I only saw inside the case when the cover was off for the week, can't say I saw inside the heatex, obviously.

Nozzle

Trust me..... they're great heat exchangers . If on a clean system. We are agents for Atag commercial and look after a lot.

They need a clean system

20140919_165709.jpg
20141113_155607.jpg
20141003_164059.jpg

Just come across this , As Olski said when BG started flushing everyone was up in arms saying how they were ripping customers off ,when they then seen how lucrative it could be it then became the be all with everyone singing its praises .
My example Done 30 boiler exchanges beginning of last year mixture of systems from already sealed to open vent and even few old back boilers . Never powerflushed a single one all done chemical and hot and cold flushes everyone tested by fernox and came back perfect .
Powerflushing has it place but its not and never has been an absolute stipulation for warranty.
Done my first powerflush back about 1986

Last edited:
Just come across this , As Olski said when BG started flushing everyone was up in arms saying how they were ripping customers off ,when they then seen how lucrative it could be it then became the be all with everyone singing its praises .
My example Done 30 boiler exchanges beginning of last year mixture of systems from already sealed to open vent and even few old back boilers . Never powerflushed a single one all done chemical and hot and cold flushes everyone tested by fernox and came back perfect .
Powerflushing has it place but its not and never has been an absolute stipulation for warranty.
Done my first powerflush back about 1986

Bet you'd never preclude one from the outset without checking?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back