1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

New Boiler!!!

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Londoner2, 22 Sep 2021.

1. Londoner2

Londoner2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Come on engineers, stop wasting time on this forum and invent boilers that uses miniscule gas!!!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Some engineers have developed very efficient heating units that get the most useful heat from the minimum of gas used.

But these super efficient heating units are expensive and hard to sell to the general public when low cost relatively in-efficient boilers are available.

That may change given the problems being caused by the increase in the wholesale price of gas.

4. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Modern boilers can be made to use less gas than they generally do, with good system design and decent controls. A recent study showed that condensing boilers only achieve around 80% efficiency in use on average rather than the 95% it states in the book, because they aren't installed and set up correctly

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I started a thread in 2010 about the Abergas boiler we had in our old house, some interesting input from several people who'd worked on these boilers, and particularly regarding it's efficiency for its time. Abergas HTM boiler | DIYnot Forums

Still interested in anything anyone may have on these. Have found an article held by BSRIA, 'The boiler from outer space', but need to be a member to access it!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. fixitflav

fixitflav

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If it is installed and set up correctly so it achieves 95%, it's not easy to improve on. Efficiency will never be 100% (on a gross CV basis) and if a different boiler gives 96 or 97% the difference would be hard to notice.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. vulcancontinental

vulcancontinental

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for that blast form the past. I never actually fitted one but remember quoting for one (I was an apprentice still and it would have been my first private job other than sinks or WC's etc. How lucky the potential clients were they went elsewhere!).

At that time installs were often very poor with flux left in the system and lots of boss white left on joints that would have played havoc with the innards of the boiler. Boiler noisy? Squirt some Fairy Liquid into the header cistern.

I think the space age references were because they used a process for conducting heat from a NASA project. All I remember were references to ball bearings. We can also thank NASA for the Powerpoint pen and ceramic discs in taps and much more.

As for the reference to efficiency I'm not sure it would bear comparison but who knows, there was certainly no premixing of fuel and combustion air or it being kept in ratio through a range of modulation.

Anyway, I'm going back to read the earlier post again when there's more time. Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. vulcancontinental

vulcancontinental

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is that a published study muggles? Do you have a link please?

10. Razor900

Razor900

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Black and Decker developed the first cordless drills for use by NASA. They have an example in the Space Centre in Leicester

• Thanks Thanks x 2