New boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a potterton suprima boiler that is leaking from the heat exchanger and have been told i'm better off replacing the boiler rather than repairing.
I've done a bit of research and have decided on the Valiant ecomax Pro 28e.
I have an open vented system would this boiler be suitable?

could anybody advise me on a ball park figure on the labour cost of replacing the boiler.
many thanks

Sponsored Links
What size boiler is it. As i know somebody who has a heat exchanger for one if your interested.

Ecomax pro 28e is a combi & not compatible with an open vented system.

I think the Ecomax is also available in a system version. The 28 would be grossly overpowered unless you live in a castle and the Suprima was a 120.

Most suprimas are best replaced by the Worcester range to match the power output and size and most of that range will toperate an open vanted system.

Tony

Sponsored Links
EcoMax pro open vent is basically a Saunier Duval in a Vaillant case. You may wish to draw your own conclusions.

We'd suggest a Viessmann 18 or 24kw Compact, or perhaps a Worcester Bosch RI.

Changing the HE in a Suprima is not a good use of your time or money. However, be mindful that it may have failed due to contamination so a Powerflush should be budgeted for.

So that's why City Plumbing have a heatpack with a Vaillant in it? If it's an SD I shan't be buying that heat pack then. Would rather use the sabre which is a Vokera Compact. Give me a boiler based on the good old Vokera Linea over a boiler based on anything the French have ever conceived any day of the week.

The Ecomax Pro is not saunier in disguise infact the glow-worm hxi has the same parts except for the display card.The h/exch is as the veissmann,baxi,glow-worm etc.Very reliable boiler, now all the early problems have been sorted.Provided it is installed correctly no problems,i install them regulary and have few problems

Vaillant are one of the few to give a 5year warrenty on the heat ex and aren't even bothered if the system has been power flushed. all they say is as long as the system is cleaned with x400 and treated with x100 or other brands their warrenty is good. thats got to be a first! (That statement came from both my vaillant rep and the tech guys at Elland). :D

Thanks for all your replies, is the consensus that the Vaillant is a good replacement?
Any ideas on labour cost for replacing the boiler?

please note forum rule 9

The HE is not the same as in a Viessmann.

The reason Glow worms have similarities is because they are all owned by the same group eg: Saunier, GlowWorm, Protherm etc are all owned by Vaillant.

However, if you disassemble an ecoMAX or an ecoTEC you will see that in contrast the ecoMAX pro open vent is a very different boiler indeed.

The open vent market is very small and Germans do not like OV systems. Can gas geezer tell us what parts are common from 'pro' open vent to ecoMAX and ecoTEC? The boiler is a completely different design....

I said the ecomax pro is a glow-worm hxi apart from the display.The last time i opened an ecomax 6/800series the heat exc. and flue adaptor were the same.The ecotec was changed in that the h/exch now incorporates the adaptor flue adaptor as a wrap round version.There is a saunier on the market which has this as well but i do not know the model possibly the thema condensing.The veissmann boilers use the same manufacturer for their h/exch,and exp.vess.,dhw exch etc as do a lot of the other boiler companies,in my area vaillant are first class for backup for this reason i use them.It may be different in other parts of the country for instance some installers only use worcesters others baxi, i know another who uses sauniers and swears by them. At the end of the day if most boilers are installed correctly they work i go by the ease of servicing. ease of acess for repairing and availibility of spares imo vaillant are as good as any for that criteria.

I have change4 shed loads of suprima heat exchanger, its a nice easy job, as long as they water has killed the burner

three hours max

why get a new one, the heat exchangers are about 270 ( ithink)

CBAN don't be impressed by 5 year warranties on heat exchangers. Any boiler whose heat exchanger leaks inside 5 years is very bad, so if it had to be replaced within guarantee period you have still bought a pup and will pay through the nose time and again after the 5 years are up.

Why do they feel they need to offer this warranty? Because there is a history in the UK of problems with ill conceived condensing boilers, and they are trying to say it's OK boys now we have got it right.

Buderus has been making condensing boilers to the same basic recipy in Holland for 30 years, the original boilers are still in use in the factory from day one. They have never had a problem with their tried and tested heat exchangers. In the UK we are years behind, 80% of boilers in Holland are condensing, only now that we are forced to fit them by HMG are we ever likely to come close to that level of experience. This is the beginning of a new era.

The Worcester heat exchanger seems to be manufactured similarly to the Buderus, both are owned by Bosch Thermotechnic so the eggheads have probably shared ideas.

I wouldn't buy a boiler with the stainless steel gianoni heat exhchanger inside on the grounds that stainless steel is a poor conductor of heat so smaller passageways are required to make it work, and it has not got 30 years provenance behind it.

Can anybody recommend a good reliable plumber in North London to replace my boliler.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back