New build hot water cylinder

talksr in another thread about the house said:
Worried that developer is maybe house bashing to get these done as they are over date on completion.
Which is when things get changed to catch up. Stick to your guns, it is you who will be living in the house, the developer, main contractors and sub contracting companies won't be.

Sponsored Links
Is that the only mention of the hot water system in all your paperwork?
Yes that is the only mention I have in the paperwork, but it was one of the main reasons we went for it as we actually quite like the cylinders. I know they are more expensive in terms of heating water that is not always used, but if your boiler malfunctions, at least you have the cylinder heater which enables you to still shower.

Which is when things get changed to catch up. Stick to your guns, it is you who will be living in the house, the developer, main contractors and sub contracting companies won't be.
I will do. This is a considerable amount of money to me. I have been waiting for eight years now to buy my first house, I will be giving up every penny I have to buy this place, so it needs to be 100% sorted as there will be nothing after to put towards modifications etc.

Sponsored Links
They'll probably just say that there are plenty of people who'll buy it if you don't!

But it's worth speaking to them and perhaps calling their bluff!?

They'll probably just say that there are plenty of people who'll buy it if you don't!

But it's worth speaking to them and perhaps calling their bluff!?
True, but our non-refundable deposit is now paid, and it is ours subject to our mortgage going through etc.

I agree with your sentiment (although they're not much more expensive to run), but I think you'll have a hard time arguing on the grounds of the drawing.

If I see my neighbour tomorrow I'll ask him.... He's a senior site manager for one of the biggest home builders in the country and responsible for a large development nearby. Will certainly be better informed then our friend Blowhardgreen. ;)

These guys are under serious pressure to meet time AND quality standards and the annual bonuses are contingent on performance, which include client satisfaction on hand over.

I will do. This is a considerable amount of money to me. I have been waiting for eight years now to buy my first house, I will be giving up every penny I have to buy this place, so it needs to be 100% sorted as there will be nothing after to put towards modifications etc.
guarantee you will need more money concerning the house ( new builds :rolleyes:)

I agree with your sentiment (although they're not much more expensive to run), but I think you'll have a hard time arguing on the grounds of the drawing.

If I see my neighbour tomorrow I'll ask him.... He's a senior site manager for one of the biggest home builders in the country and responsible for a large development nearby. Will certainly be better informed then our friend Blowhardgreen. ;)

These guys are under serious pressure to meet time AND quality standards and the annual bonuses are contingent on performance, which include client satisfaction on hand over.
True,
I suppose it isn't the end of the world, and someone did comment here on how well the pipe work had been done, so hopefully it is a good job.

If you have time to ask your neighbour, that would be very much appreciated. This is the first purchase I have ever made, so I am very new to this!

True,
I suppose it isn't the end of the world, and someone did comment here on how well the pipe work had been done, so hopefully it is a good job.

If you have time to ask your neighbour, that would be very much appreciated. This is the first purchase I have ever made, so I am very new to this!

Unless you plan on being carried out of the place in a box, this is the least of your worries. Concentrate on the quality of the finishes.... Particularly, sound transfer between rooms, squeaky floors, electrical sockets and switches, paint and grout.

Unless you plan on being carried out of the place in a box, this is the least of your worries. Concentrate on the quality of the finishes.... Particularly, sound transfer between rooms, squeaky floors, electrical sockets and switches, paint and grout.

Suggest you listen to Moneybox on radio 4 iplayer... A very pertinent segment on the last episode on this and the current crop of 95% mortgages.

Thanks, will do. This will be an shared ownership property, so I will be purchasing the full 75% with a view to purchasing the remaining 25% within two years.
Will have a listen tomorrow.

What do you mean by sound transfer between the rooms? If I can hear clearly any noise when I am in one room and someone is in the other?

Yeah! Too true!
Swing the internal doors shut and see if the frames move!
We looked at a new build for our first house (many years ago) and there was another couple also looking upstairs... could hear every sound they made which put us right off!
Don't want to pi$$ on ur matches tho so hope it works out for you (n)

As above.... Shared ownership will be a different bag too in terms of specification.

SWMBO and I went through all this when we bought our first place back in 2005. But being in the industry, I have an appreciation for the predictably of problems in older buildings rather than new ones. Took some convincing of honourable FIL that an older place was better. Had to take him to a new build site that had houses in various stages of construction to explain things properly (partly due to the language barrier). He understood in the end.

Ironically we are just finishing off a big renovation of one of those very same houses this week with another firm regular here ; what we uncovered at the beginning of the project beggered belief.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back