New build - mortar query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Moved into a new build property in October and wondered if any one with building experience might be able to give some advice re mortar.

Firstly when we first moved in, we noticed a couple of vertical joints missing if mortar which the builder filled. However since then I’ve noticed a few areas where there are breaks in mortar, and a little crumbly. But since then i’ve noticed a few new bits appearing where mortar has worn away, again on lower damp proof level bricks.

Now I’ve been worrying about weak mortar so been round with a key/screwdriver and brushing finger along and on the whole it feels pretty hard and doesn’t tend to dust away.

Does it look concerning and in a new build is it still likely on the lower levels that it can wear away through severe weathering?

Also, there are some small cracks in mortar next to the concrete lintels above bi folds which builder just said settlement/shrinkage etc. Windere did this looks concerning.

Had a snagging and I’ve spoke to builder he doesn’t want to know so wanted to get opinions on likely causes before go down trying warranty (if needed)

Thanks

photos removed for privacy - mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Fyi this isn’t a big building company/housing estate. It was a pair of new build semis built on established residential street

Its a very minor quality issue.

You'll need to check your Buildmark warranty to see if its covered. There are standards for appearance ..

upload_2021-12-8_17-58-46.png

Is it normal for bits to weather and erode though? The bit at the corner of brickwork on lower damp proof bricks, I have been keeping an eye on the mortar and it literally must have fell out last night/today (there has been bad weather). It seems like bottom vertical bits keep falling out quite a bit back to the joint. Like I say, when we moved in there was about 3 vertical joints he came back and filled.

Sponsored Links
Also, if we have to sort it if builder/warranty won’t, is it just a case or grinding out abs repointing the bad bits?

They have not eroded. You state that the mortar is hard, so what falls out are already loose.

The open joints you mention may well be scaffold putlog holes.

I’m sorry but the brick work is rough as toast from the pictures you have sent in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back