New build - no floor vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house, and the others on the estate, built in the last 4 years, doesn't have any vents beneath the floor on the outside. I see a lot of houses elsewhere of a similar age with vents on the outside at ground level. I just wondered why some houses had them and others didn't? I assume it varies depending on the floor base used?

Curiously, I also notice that two thirds of the estate use blue engineering bricks for their DPC, whereas the other third (including my house) uses the black plastic sheet instead for the DPC. Other than running out of engineering bricks part way through building the estate, I wondered why this might be. The houses that use the engineering bricks are closer to the SUDS balancing lagoons so I wonder if it's something to do with flooding, but I doubt it.

I know these questions are a little random, but the original builder has moved on and isn't around to answer these questions :)

Sponsored Links
Houses have ventilation when the floor is suspended with a void underneath.

The houses with blue engineering bricks will still have a plastic DPC the same as yours

Houses have ventilation when the floor is suspended with a void underneath.

The houses with blue engineering bricks will still have a plastic DPC the same as yours

Thanks, I thought the engineering brick was instead of the plastic DPC. If not, why would some have the engineering bricks and others don't?

No they’ll still have a plastic DPC if they’ve been built within the last 4 years.

Probably blue so that the houses look different and you don’t have a new estate with every house identical

Sponsored Links
Engineering bricks may or may not be visible due to variations in the ground levels.

Perhaps, though it would be unusual for a developer to use one system for flooring for some houses and another for the others.

Perhaps, though it would be unusual for a developer to use one system for flooring for some houses and another for the others.
Just to clarify I don't see vents on any of the houses here, just two thirds with blue bricks and the other third with no blue bricks

You prob have concrete floors. No need for vents.

Blue bricks are used for fashion these days. Just a different style thats all.

Just to clarify I don't see vents on any of the houses here, just two thirds with blue bricks and the other third with no blue bricks

bricklayer says "weve run out of bricks"

site foreman says: "just get up to damp with face bricks, we cant have any hold ups"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back