New car - decisions, decisions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's time for a new car and I've no idea what to get. I've had two Qashqai's - the first a diesel, second petrol. Loved the diesel - can't wait to see the back of the petrol - it's been a veritable Friday night/Monday morning car.

I've had a new QQ for the past couple of days to try and I'm not sure about it. Interior fittings are fab and it's really comfy but I'm finding that there's terrible lag on the 1.2 turbo engine - it seems to be going nowhere then the turbo kicks in and off you go - not handy at a junction - maybe it's a case of having to learn to drive it differently - I dunno.

Had a test drive of the Mitsubushi ASX 3 and it's a much nicer car to drive but the interior isn't as plush as the QQ.

Did wonder about the Suzuki S-Cross but not been to see one yet.

I need something the size of the Qashqai - we need the height and also the boot room.

Anyone got any suggestions or opinions - I can't decide what to do

Sponsored Links
I did think of the Yeti - wasn't sure if the boot would be big enough - I've got to be able to get a wheelchair in it - and on that score, the QQ and ASX have big boots.

If I could have a QQ with an old engine in it, I'd be happy - I'm really not enjoying it with that 1.2 engine

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I was going to go back to diesel but the dealer said I'm not doing the mileage to warrant a diesel - my current car is 3 years old and it's just done 10,000 miles - he said the new filters will just clog and I'll knacker it.

It is a Renault engine :confused:

He may have a point, to be fair.....he is referring to the DPF or diesel particulate filter which is part of the cars exhaust pipe. This wretched thing does clog with soot but a nice fast run up a dual carriageway allows it to regenerate so it really depends on your driving, not mileage.
Diesels aren't meant for town use anymore!
All manufacturers are producing small petrol engines with high outputs.....that's only so they can say they have a vehicle which will conform to Euro 6 emissions, when they arrive.
John :)

Most of my journeys are just into town or to a supermarket, hospital appointments - nothing far to be honest. Once in a blue moon I'll go out of town so probably not enough to warrant going back to diesel (even if I did love my first diesel - that car coped with anything - including weeks of near 2 feet of snow)

Have a wee look at the Suzuki Grand Vitara plenty of room? Don't take what the salesman says as gospel ............

I don't really trust anything that a salesman says! LOL Not since one tried to sell me a car because it had pop up headlights and when I asked him to pop the bonnet, he patted me on the head and told me to worry about anything under there!

Ye Gods......he's a braver man than me, Gunga Din :eek:
So what do you think of our suggestions, Alison? They are all available in very nice colours :p :p :p
(Running for cover etc )
John :D

Hahahahahahahaha, he was so patronising - just annoyed me LOL

I'll have a look at the Rav 4 and the Citroen. My brother said to look at the Mazda as well. I may be some time, trawling round car showrooms!!

Hi all

I've just got a new car 64 plate Mazda 3 sports nav, oh the joys of driving have all come back, a very nice car with all the bells and whistles

It does have a 2L petrol engine, but its a fantastic drive when i can get to drive it as hubby and I have a domestic everytime we need to use it lol

Juliex

Mazda CX-5 crossover could be the biz !
Have experience of petrol version - in the USA - great drive for 2,500 miles including 'white out' then front screen cracked - road debris I think. Replacement = Ford v8 Explorer, followed by excellent Hyundai Santa Fe !!

Enjoyed driving all of 'em - 28 US MPG from the Mazda and Hyundai - 18 MPG from the rumbling Ford !

Oh, $4.00 per US gal on average, at $1.6 per GB£ and 0.82 x GB gal = US gal... £3.05 per Imp Gal.

Great experience with hire cars via Alamo rentals in the USA !! Booked in advance from GB - flawless operation, vehicle swap twice, no fiddles no extra charges - Well done USA !

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back