New ceiling fan

mpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya folks

I've just bought a ceiling fan from B&Q, the wring diagram is missing a wire.

I have the usual earth, live and neutral all labelled up but I also have one labelled Light(red wire).

Does anyone know where this red wire goes

Cheers
Matt

Sponsored Links
Surely there were wiring instructions with the fan? What do they say?

Some fans can have a feed to a light - perhaps thats what its for.

The wiring diagram is complete but its shows a picture of 3 wires coming through the down rod on the fan( live earth and neutral) but I have 4 wires (the extra red one) I assumed it was an extra feed for the light

wouldnt be so bad if the instructions had 10 differant languages but its made by a firm in Oldham

It should be a separate feed for the light. If your fan is wired to a ceiling rose with a loop and switched live, then you can connect this red wire to the switched live. The fan will be wired into the loop and switched with a pull cord on the fitting. If this is right, you will be able to control your light with your existing wall switch.

If your cable to the fan is just 2 core and earth, then I imagine you would connect both the live wire and the red wire together.

Does any of this make sense compared to what you have in front of you?

Sponsored Links
It should be a separate feed for the light. If your fan is wired to a ceiling rose with a loop and switched live, then you can connect this red wire to the switched live. The fan will be wired into the loop and switched with a pull cord on the fitting. If this is right, you will be able to control your light with your existing wall switch.

If your cable to the fan is just 2 core and earth, then I imagine you would connect both the live wire and the red wire together.

Does any of this make sense compared to what you have in front of you?

Yeah it looks like its a seperate feed for the light, connected it to the live and fitted all working just wont be able to use a dimmer switch on it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back