New ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm trying to fit a new ceiling rose because the builder accidently broke the old one. There's two sets of wires to connect to the new rose, both have red, black and bare earth wires with green and yellow sleeves.

First time I connected the two reds and fitted them in the holes marked Line on the new rose. Did the same with the black ones and connected them to the
holes marked N. I fastened the earth wire to the earth terminal. when I turned the power back on it blew the 5 amp fuse (twice)

Then I noticed that one of the black wires had a little red sleeve attached so I tried attaching that to the holes makrked Loop in the new rose but left the others where they were. It didn't blow the fuse this time but still no light.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
First read this //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting-circuit-layouts

When, and only when, you've understood how switches work, proceed thus:

The reds go in the terminals marked 'loop'
The black with no sleeve goes in the terminal marked 'N'
The black with red sleeve goes in the terminal supplying live to the lamp, marked 'L' - this is not a neutral - it becomes live when the switch is closed (on), which is why your fuse blew when you connected it to neutral: you short-circuited your lighting circuit when you switched on. This may have damaged the switch.

Edit: oh, and ensure all the earth conductors are sleeved green/yellow and connected together in the earth terminal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the fast responses, especially echoes ;)

Light working fine now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back