New Chasing tool...Anyone using them/used them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys :) i'm currently an adult learner in training to be a Spark.

Basically me and the guy i work with are doing my first re-wire (eek! lol) and i'm doing all the chasing etc as well as helping him with the wiring.

I kept getting really annoyed with chasing into the brickwork for the backbox's and even though i got there in the end i wondered if there was an easyer way of doing it rather than using the chaser drill and chisels etc and found a new tool from Screwfix.I've tried to find the link but it dosn't seem to be on there site yet :confused:

It's basically a chisel shaped like a single and a double socket that is meant to chase into the plaster and brickwork and make a nice smooth surface to mount the backbox on..bit expensive at around £70 just for the double socket but are they worth it? Anyone used them etc??

Thanks

Alan

Sponsored Links
these are years old and do not work on brick, they do sometimes work on concrete block and are fine with light weights.

Arrrrrrr i kinda thought it wouldn't be that easy :LOL:

Looks like i've got to get more practice then :evil:

Yep, they are fine for breeze block, but even so, tend to leave you with a hole too big for a brown plug :evil:

A lump hammer and sash knife is the quickest and neatest for chases, and a SDS drill with a 25mm chisel bit for back boxes.

As with everything, you will get much quicker and neater the more you do it. :)

Sponsored Links
It's a bit like a good metal chisel.
However you would be better off using a Footprint 2" bolster, the finest tool ever invented, (after the Marshaltown 12" brick trowel of course)

Hi Alan

That tool in your link is for removing morter from around a brick,not for cutting into brick directly.

Thanks Festa :) Thought it looked a bit tame for brick..

Just ordered a Footprint 2" bolster :cool: Not bad for £11!

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I call a 2" bolster a sash knife.

Footprint of course.

Never a finer chisel ever was there made :LOL:

Plus any tool that really works (e.g. one of those twin diamond wheel chasing tools) makes a horrible amount of mess....

The point here gentlemen, I think is.
That a good workman doesn't blame his tools, as firstly, he would see to it that his work was right, and he wouldn't be caught using anything but the best

If you are mounting boxes into brick then you'll have problems getting a nice neat hole aligned exactly where you want it.

Best deal is to make a hole - more or less where you need it - make a mix half cement, half bonding plaster. (edit: you'll need some water too!)
Throw the mix in the hole and press your back box into the goo (its loverlee stuff).

Let it set (2 hours should do it) then drill thru the back box, insert wall plug and screw in for final fix.

Hammer and 2" Bolster for me thou when those really special bricks come along I treat them to a nice SDS peppering and then stick pictures of my former boss in the space and cut him into pieces.

Nice neat hole for back box.

When uni holidays come I get my big little bro to do it, very easy then ;)

Elecrical Box Sinkers from Armeg, not impressed.

Seen the July/August copy of PE? Some bloke down south has fabricated a tool that fits onto an angle grinder, looks cool.

Problem is, like with the twin-disk chaser, you need a large industrial vacum.
I covert my mate's Numatic 'Dumpy' on a regular basis.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back