new cold water tank pipe sizes to hot water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just in receipt of my new plastic 50 gallon cold water tank that i intend to drill and fit at the weekend.

I have a 15mm mains feed and a 22mm exit feed to the hot water tank. I thought these were meant to be 28mm now, or does it not matter too much.

I am adding a shower so should I keep the 22mm for the shower and get and extra 28mm to feed the hot water tank?

Any tips on drilling the tank other than using correct size hole saw? Should I space the shower and hot water feeds at opposite ends of the tank?
Any advice or links to articles or diagrams would be much appreciated if anyone can help!?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Regardless of head of water Rob, a 28mm supply to the hot water cylinder would improve your hot water performance, but if you have a fair head 22mm is fine.

Regardless of head of water Rob, a 28mm supply to the hot water cylinder would improve your hot water performance, but if you have a fair head 22mm is fine.

Cheers Richard.

Seeing as I have not drilled the tank I may as well fit a bigger pipe for better flow then.

Any advice on drilling positions etc?

If drilling with a hole saw, allow enough for any sludge to settle at the bottom of the tank. Say, the centre of the hole saw 75mm from the bottom of the tank?

It was common practice to have the cold feed to the HW cylinder higher up the tank than the cold supply to the bathroom, this was to stop the hot water supply before the hot, incase there was a problem with the incoming mains water supply.

Sponsored Links
OK, think I got that.
If I have a shower connected then how many outlets am I going to need? Possibly 4? I will probably add the shower later but want to get the position right.

Will I be ok having two outlets either end of the tank do you think? Say 2 float valve side and 2 the overflow side?

Thanks for help..

If drilling with a hole saw,

What's all this drilling business?

Just heat the end of the 28mm pipe up with the torch, and push it through the side of the tank.

PROPER JOB!! :cool:

Is this a bona fide way? I did read it on a search and wasn't sure. I suppose you would get a good fit.
Do people do this with the 15mm pipes to?

So potentially I could have hot water tank feed, shower feed, cold tap feed and maybe a dedicated bath feed all coming from the opposite side of the float valve end?

Thanks again....

If drilling with a hole saw,

What's all this drilling business?

Just heat the end of the 28mm pipe up with the torch, and push it through the side of the tank.

PROPER JOB!! :cool:

Is this a bona fide way? I did read it on a search and wasn't sure. I suppose you would get a good fit.
Do people do this with the 15mm pipes to?

So potentially I could have hot water tank feed, shower feed, cold tap feed and maybe a dedicated bath feed all coming from the opposite side of the float valve end?

Thanks again....

I meant hot tap feed!

Is it normal to have just feed to hot water tank and to maybe the shower so really there are only two pipes coming out from the bottom of the tank?

I need to get my theory sorted!

Aghhhh!

Someone please clarify what connections I need.
I am now at the conclusion that I may as well fit the 22mm tank connector to the hot water tank (normal copper style) as it has a 22mm entry.
This will be placed on the opposite side on the float valve toward the bottom of the tank.
This is all I will need as the tank will pipe to the hot water taps and a wessex\essex whatever flange will sort the shower?

So I need one connection that feeds the float valve with 15mm mains on one side and I need a 22mm that feed the hot water tank on the other.
IF I add a shower then I add a cold feed straight from the tank (same side as hot water tank feed).

Is this correct :?:

Thanks for patience

Drilling the holes is technically the correct method. You will need a hole for ballvalve, overflow, 22mm outlet to cylinder, and 15mm cold feed to shower. Id fit the shower outlet while you're at it, and cap it with a valve. Just run from valve to shower when ready. Saves draining tank in future, and easier to get the swarf out when tank is dry and empty!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back