New combi boiler. Prv pipe not outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
My mother in law has just had a new combi boiler fitted in the laundry room and her prv pipe just drops down from the boiler and stops about 60cm above the floor. That's it. It doesn't go outside or into the condensate pipe using a tundish. Just a straight cut off pipe aimed at the floor behind the washing machine.
I've read one forum where this has happened but it was in a garage rather than a utility room.
Does this seem ok? I'm worried my elderly MIL will be putting clothes in the washing machine and get a face full of steam!
Many thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to be a face full of steam but definitely needs correctly terminating outside, as it could cause a small flood, especially if she accidentally leaves the filling loop open

Thanks guys. I've now read 3 or 4 different things on here where it seems that you can just point it down like this but they are nearly all in a garage. Maybe the installer is treating the room as though it's a garage. I've read though that this pipe should be clearly visible and obviously it's not visible if there's a washing machine in front of it!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It won't have been fitted in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, so the guarantee won't be valid.

Thanks, she's having a fair bit of trouble off the installer to be fair. Not for this but for other problems.
It's a Worcester 30cdi. It hasn't kept it's pressure since it was installed. She was warned that the flush may cause a few problems to her under floor piping and that if it did they may have to fit some above floor piping.
So, because of the constant pressure drop she got a quote from them to have 3 new radiators and new piping to them.
Day comes for them to fit and they run in to problems, 1st new rad in, new pipes, doesn't get hot at all. Said they may have to try connecting back to old pipes (wtf). Asl long as pressure didn't drop. Low and behold pressure dropped again so they're basically coming back next Monday to re pipe the lot.
Plus I'm unsure if she's agreed to pay even more money as she's very cagey about it when asked. Unreal!

I wouldn't want a pipe that could discharge water like that behind any of my electrical appliances.

Right. She asked about this pipe today and was told it is fine as it is in the laundry! It is 100% not visible as there's a washer in front of it.
They also told her how it's nothing to worry about and it will never go off.
Sounds like fobbing her off to me!
I've a feeling when it's serviced they may say something!

Hello
My mother in law has just had a new combi boiler fitted in the laundry room and her prv pipe just drops down from the boiler and stops about 60cm above the floor. That's it. It doesn't go outside or into the condensate pipe using a tundish. Just a straight cut off pipe aimed at the floor behind the washing machine.
I've read one forum where this has happened but it was in a garage rather than a utility room.
Does this seem ok? I'm worried my elderly MIL will be putting clothes in the washing machine and get a face full of steam!
Many thanks for any replies.

my god, who fitted this? A GasSafe engineer or a cowboy ?

Right. She asked about this pipe today and was told it is fine as it is in the laundry! It is 100% not visible as there's a washer in front of it.
They also told her how it's nothing to worry about and it will never go off.
Sounds like fobbing her off to me!
I've a feeling when it's serviced they may say something!

It’s just wrong. full stop.

Any overflow needs to be visible, be it a toilet with an external overflow (used to be like this) or a boiler or a pressurised hot water tank or whatever. It’s a safety feature and dripping is showing you there’s a safety issue

if you can’t see it dripping, you can’t see the problem.

I have checked and they are gas safe registered!
It's impossible to see if it's dripping!
So are they correct that it can be done the way they've done it in a laundry? For example if there wasn't a washing machine in the way?
I've looked at the Worcester manual but it's a bit vague.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back