New Combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recentkly moved into a 1930's ish house. Has a conventional boiler BUT the hot tank is leaking in the bedroom and now there is also no hot water (except from emersion) and heating and I am pretty sure the boiler has packed in. Now in any case, I should say I like the idea of a combi boiler (space, constant hot water etc) and given the probs we have encountered and the likely costs, now is a good a time as any to consider a change. A few (quite a few!) questions if I may:

1. Is changing to a combi just stupid (is there a strong reason not to do this). Incidentally, our attic conversion does not have a radiator and I believe we will only get this with a combi
2. The house is a 3 bedroom, one bathroom property although we may put a small WC in the thrird bedroom. Will a 25KW boiler easily suffice or should we as a caution go for a 35KW. Would rather err on the side of caution unless there is a good reason not to.(been told its a £300 differential)
3. Work to fit boiler (Broag 35KW), flush system, run pipes under flooring (changing to 22m), to boiler and upstairs, provide boiler, provide wireless themostat, provide a magna clean thing and provide pipes to fit radiator in third bedroom and remove existing tanks etc, TRVs on bedroom radiators - £3,200 inclusive of VAT (3-4 days labour by all accounts) - does this seem reasonable in peoples opinions?
4. Is there anything he should be doing that I have not mentioned
5. Are building regs required - plumber is GasSafe registered
6. Does anyone have any opinions on wireless thrermostats?
7. ME bonding - what is this? is it required? does not having it contravene building regs? Can a plumber do ME bonding or will I have to get a electrician in?
8. Is it likely to b*lls up my shower or is this a lets see what happens answer
9. Is Broag a good make?
10. Cheeky question - anything I've missed?!

Apologies for so many questions!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Lots of questions. Hope this helps.

1. A combi sounds a good option for you situation provided you have sufficient pressure/flow rate. You could also get a radiator upstairs.
2. 25KW probably a bit low power for good HW delivery. 30KW should be fine but go to 35KW if you want.
3. Price seems OK but get a couple more quotes for comparison.
4. He seems to have it covered. TRVs to all rads would be expected.
5. Work is notifyable once complete. Your guy should do this.
6. Wireless stats generally work OK.
7. Not sure on current position on bonding but its easy to do and may as well be done.
8. Depends what shower you have. If its a mixer it will be better than its ever been.
9.Some people think so. Controls can be a bit confusing. Seem to have a decent record.
10. I think thats all you get for free.

1. Is changing to a combi just stupid (is there a strong reason not to do this). Incidentally, our attic conversion does not have a radiator and I believe we will only get this with a combi

A combi is fine for your type of house.

2. The house is a 3 bedroom, one bathroom property although we may put a small WC in the thrird bedroom. Will a 25KW boiler easily suffice or should we as a caution go for a 35KW. Would rather err on the side of caution unless there is a good reason not to.(been told its a £300 differential)

35 kW will give you a better shower (provided the mains is up to it) and has enough capacity to run a second bathroom/ensuite if y ou ever want one.

3. Work to fit boiler (Broag 35KW), flush system, run pipes under flooring (changing to 22m), to boiler and upstairs, provide boiler, provide wireless themostat, provide a magna clean thing and provide pipes to fit radiator in third bedroom and remove existing tanks etc, TRVs on bedroom radiators - £3,200 inclusive of VAT (3-4 days labour by all accounts) - does this seem reasonable in peoples opinions?

Bit pricey for a broag, but this is an expensive period in the year

4. Is there anything he should be doing that I have not mentioned

Nothing major

5. Are building regs required - plumber is GasSafe registered

No building control permission needed

6. Does anyone have any opinions on wireless thrermostats?

All I use. The siemens rev24 is a gem, honeywell cmt 927 is good too.

7. ME bonding - what is this? is it required? does not having it contravene building regs? Can a plumber do ME bonding or will I have to get a electrician in?

Sparky job

8. Is it likely to b*lls up my shower or is this a lets see what happens answer

Shower should be ok, unless you have a "low pressure only" model

9. Is Broag a good make?

Depends who you ask, not bad, but not in the top.

10. Cheeky question - anything I've missed?!

Nothing major.
Apart from: how do you know the installer is any good?

I would go for the 28c or 35c, whichever best matches the mains flow rate.

Sounds a top price, what has he quoted for, a complete system including rads perhaps.

A Magnaclean is a must.

One bit you missed is any low pressure tapes, including the shower, and wc ballvalves, may not like high pressure up em.

Sponsored Links
...for all the replies.

I know the guy is a decent installer as he did my boiler in the last place.

Q re the low pressure taps.ballvalves and shower, is there any way of ascertianing this beforehand or is it wait and see cake? what are the consequences if it "doesn't like it"? Is this a simple not costly change?

Re the quote, there is quite a bit of work to go under floorboards etc but interesting comments re price. another quote has come in at £5,000. may be worth another quote.

The point re TRV's - is this a requirement for each radiator or just best practice. Only really need them from a practical purpose in the bedrooms.

Thanks to all again - extremely helpful

Really a case of wait and see, then change if necessary.

Trv's should be fitted on all the rads except the room the the stat.

if you know the guy, and are happy with his work, stick with him, at least he want to install a quality boiler.

If you are using a boiler with weather compensation then NO trv's are required, as the weather compensation satisfies the building regulations

If you are using a boiler with weather compensation then NO trv's are required, as the weather compensation satisfies the building regulations

Very true and would also give a better system, but it may bump the price up a tad. Don't know how much the Broags are now but worth asking.

Was around £140.00 in 2007

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back