New computer currys

Linux is NOT Windows is a VERY interesting read even if it is getting on a bit !!

Thanks. That's a very interesting document.

Although I'm sticking with Windows 7, I have an old laptop that's been in the cupboard unused for a few years and on which I'd like to install Linux (or one of its variants) to explore what it's like.

Sponsored Links
Go for it.

Although if it's a laptop that's a bit old in the tooth you might want to try a lean version.

Something like...

Lubuntu

or

Xubuntu

Of course you don't even need to choose a "Buntu", you could just go for a version of debian <---Debbie and Ians O/s as the "buntu's" are based on that anyway !

Confusing aint it !!

Basically... Windows is Windows.. You can only take what your given

Linux is the core + whatever Display Manager you fancy & there are even different package managers

Both rpm (Red Hat) & Deb (debian) & even Yast

Dive in and give it a shot !!

I'm still learning something new about Linux to this day.

I've been using Linux since Debian Woody.. Which was around the year 2000 (on my AmigaONE) but I've just learnt that (on Kubuntu - which is what I'm playing with atm) pressing ctrl+alt+esc brings up a skull in which you hover it over a hung application and it kills it.

You can, of course, still use the command line and simply enter pkill rogue app which in my case was firefox

eg

pkill firefox

In this old vid of mine I'm actually running AmigaOS4 connected to my Linux machine. Iirc I was transferring some files over samba..Or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSAhR7uXcCc

Sponsored Links
JB, what I do is buy a new PC without OS then buy the OS separately.

I'm waiting for Win 10 too. The younger boys have Win 8.1 and get on OK with it and I must say that when you get used to it, it is not all that bad.

But is more suited (and was designed more for) touch screen devices.

Back