New condenser tumble dryer, newbie questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can somebody please tell me whether there is anything more to installing a condenser tumbledryer, than attaching a plug?

I'm wondering whether there, like with ovens, is a difference to the kW (or other factors preventing easy installation) and therefore whether some tumbledryers need to be installed by an electrician, or whether I can just buy any tumbledryer and plug in into any socket.

I'm looking at a Miele T 4262 C.

Many thanks, and a very merry Christmas to all!
xSusanne

Sponsored Links
If it comes with a standard BS1363 plug on it then it is designed to be plugged into a wall socket.
As with other dryers, you must clean the lint filter after each use and with some models the condenser as well.The water collecting vessel will need emptying regularly as well.(depending on use and how wet clothes were when put in)

Thanks for that, I'll just make sure it comes with a plug, then - shopping online makes this a bit harder to check, but a few emails before I buy is worth the hassle to avoid a nasty surprise like having to pay an electrician hundreds of £'s to get the thing working.

Thanks again.
S

Any dryers you buy from a uk website will come with a plug. I've never seen a dryer for sale in this country without a plug fitted. Theres no demand for dryers that go any quicker than the standard.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Steve, I just bought an oven recently and found out the hard way that there was more to buying an oven than a layperson would think!, so got worried about the dryer as well :0)
Thanks a million for everyone's help and patience.
xS

Can you really not manage to duct it to an outside wall?

Condenser driers cost more to buy, and a fortune to run....

Good choice of manufacturer though...

Any dryers you buy from a uk website will come with a plug. I've never seen a dryer for sale in this country without a plug fitted. Theres no demand for dryers that go any quicker than the standard.
There is though not generally from domestic customers.

If the drier is one designed for the domestic market it will just plug in but if it is a more powerfull commercial model then it is likely to need a dedicated circuit.

At least with a condenser all the heat generated stays inside the house instead of being dumped outside throught the vent.

The instructions for the dryer says

"The appliance is supplied with a mains cable with moulded plug ready for
connection to a 230-240V mains supply. Please ensure the connection
data quoted on the data plate match the household mains supply."

No more to be said, really..

Thats a very broad statement and I am sure you are wrong.

I have installed many appliances that do not have a BS1363 plug fitted by the manufacturer. You may be correct if you define the appliance as a portable device (kettle, vacuum cleaner, fridge, etc) but what about a storage heater, cooker hood, or an appliance rated at more than 13A?

Indeed TTC :)

Appliances to which Part II applies
11.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2) below, this Part applies to any appliance which-
(a) is designed to operate at a voltage of not less than 200 volts; and
(b) is designed to operate at a maximum rated input of not more than 13 amperes; and
(c) is either-
(i) equipment which is fitted with a flexible cable or cord, is designed to be connected to a socket conforming to BS 1363 by means of that flexible cable or cord and a plug and is ordinarily intended to be so connected directly without the use of a cable connector; or
(ii) a flexible cable or cord which is connected to a portable socket or portable sockets and is designed to be connected to a socket conforming to BS 1363 by means of a plug; or
(iii) a flexible cable or cord which is designed to be connected to electrical equipment by means of an appliance coupler and to connect that electrical equipment to a socket conforming to BS 1363 by means of a plug; or
(iv) a flexible cable or cord which is designed to be connected by means of a cable connector to a flexible cable or cord fitted to electrical equipment, and which is intended to connect that electrical equipment to a socket conforming to BS 1363 by means of a plug; and
(d) is ordinarily intended for domestic use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back