New Consumer Unit versus Plug In MCB's?

Sponsored Links
Crafty-yes, you read it correctly, my mother's board is vintage 1960's cartridge fusebox, my own is a Wylex CU with MCB's, circa 2001. Sorry for any confusion.
So I can replace the main switch or individual circuit MCB's with an RCBO on my own CU, but not on my mother's old board?

you can PROBABLY fit RCBOs to your own board. But a photo and any numbers on them will help identify if they are available.

You can't fit an RCD or RCBOs to your mother's old board.

You can fit MCBs if she wants to save time on changing fuses or is not very handy (but there shouldn't be any overloads causing fuses to blow). I did that for my old mum.

Unfortunately, more modern MCBs often trip when a bulb blows and you have to reset them (due to a momentary surge). Fusewire doesn't generally do this. The old Wylex Standard MCBs seemed to do it rarely but with more modern ones it is quite common. It happens more with small spotlights. It does not happen with "energy saving" compact fluorescents.

Sponsored Links
The Wylex CU is a 100A/11 way box, model number NS 1104. Main switch is number WS102. Was installed Spring 2000. Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back