new consumer unit what should I buy mcb's rcbo's?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to ask a sparky to come in and change my consumer unit question is should I be looking for a unit running all rcbo's, a split load or rcd unit. I don't confess to know to much about this so your thoughts please on what would be the best. At the moment I have 1 ring main and 1 lighting circuit and the intention is to split these so 2 rings and 2 lighting circuits. also separate circuit for the alarm and separate for outdoor light
pic is the current fuse box and earth.

Sponsored Links
get a split load board and put for example upstairs lights and downstairs sockets, boiler or immersion etc on non rcd side but on rcbos then use normal mcbs on rcd side with down lights and up sockets, shower etc. thats what i tend to do only have to buy few rcbos that way!!

Sponsored Links
get a split load board and put for example upstairs lights and downstairs sockets, boiler or immersion etc on non rcd side but on rcbos then use normal mcbs on rcd side with down lights and up sockets, shower etc. thats what i tend to do only have to buy few rcbos that way!!

So you're still using "16th" split boards?

No such thing as a 16th board ;)

I don't see why you can't use a split board with RCBOs on the non-RCD side, it is a better setup imo than the dual RCCB boards.

couldnt agree more!
i guess everyones preference different though i have fitted dual rcd boards but i must say i do prefer the split load board with rcbo arrangement. :D

Agree with starspark,

I mostly use a split load board with RCBOs. Wylex now produce a split load board that is taller to fit RCBOs. If the board is an existing one then I use dual module RCBOs as the single modules don't really fit in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back