Obsolete RCBO's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to extend a lighting circuit for someone, which will obviously mean putting the lighting circuit onto an RCBO. The only problem is the consumer unit is a square d qwikline, but the older version, and when i rang the wholesaler they told me that the older version of this make is now obsolete.

So my question to you is back at the consumer unit would i need to put in a small 2 way unit with a seperate rcbo or, to keep the cost down could i put in an rcd switched fused spur?

Sponsored Links
HGCD263U.JPG
and
HGGD102E.JPG
next to the existing fusebox/consumer unit.

Cheaper and more expensive versions are available.

The lighting doesn't have to be on an RCD either. Depends on what cables are used and where they are installed.

Is that just a double pole rcd?

The cables are twin and earth pvc/pvc and are capped down some walls.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help, that's what i was planning on doing but was gonna do it with an rcbo and was just wondering about the prices.

I've been asked to extend a lighting circuit for someone, which will obviously mean putting the lighting circuit onto an RCBO.
There are alternatives:
  • Steel conduit for the new drops you install.
  • BS 8436 cable for ditto.
  • External RCD as above.
  • External RCD FCU.

You can still get them, but having seen the price, I'd go with the suggestions above :eek:

DSCN0517.jpg

Gold Dust:cool:

Ok, well i think i'll go with the original idea then :) . Also will any double pole rcd work so long as its 30mA. Does it matter if the rcd is rated at 80amps? So long as the cable runs through the 6 amp mcb first of all.

available in 16, 20 and 32A from RS.. but at £100+ each!!! a new 17th board would work out cheaper..

Also will any double pole rcd work so long as its 30mA. Does it matter if the rcd is rated at 80amps? So long as the cable runs through the 6 amp mcb first of all.

Yes, any 30mA RCD and no it doesn't matter that the RCD is rated at 80A. It just means it's good for switching a load of up to 80A.
Your MCB will be providing overload protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back