RCBO (split off from old thread)

Yes I really don't understand why we can buy a single width RBCO which switches both line and neutral although only line is monitored for overload as an option with some makes, however we can't get a MCB single width to switch both line and neutral so it requires disconnection wires to be able to test each circuit.

Sponsored Links
Yes I really don't understand why we can buy a single width RBCO which switches both line and neutral although only line is monitored for overload as an option with some makes, however we can't get a MCB single width to switch both line and neutral so it requires disconnection wires to be able to test each circuit.
I'm frankly more surprised by the former than the latter - although, admittedly, they are not very prevalent (and presumably even more expensive than SP RCBOs), as you say 1-module RCBOs with DP switching do exist - but I do think that cramming DP switching into a single-width module must be a bit of a mission, particularly for the higher current devices.

I suppose the problem is that we have been brought up to expect fairly 'small' CUs. If we had only ever known 2-module width DP devices (MCBs and RCBOs, as well as RCDs), with consequentially larger CUs) we presumably would accept that.

[ In passing, when you talk of "...although only line is monitored...", I presume you are referring to over-current detection, since residual current detection obviously involves both L and N ]

Kind Regards, John

Yes only the line overload is measured. When I was working with 110 volt it was very expensive to get split phase consumer units, or distribution units, and as a result we often used 3 phase, with one phase missing. On site size was not an issue, but domestic it would be. It not as if they are not made, go abroad and you see them a lot, it is just they don't seem to filter into this country. Likely one would have to go on holiday to get one.

I have brought home the German multi-way socket extension leads when on holiday in Turkey or Spain to make up units to take the transformers built into a German plug they are really cheap same with our stuff you can buy an extension from Poundland but go abroad without one and the adaptors cost a fortune.

Today internet has improved access to parts but postage can be silly. You can buy the converters to turn a 3 phase MCB into a RCBO
MCBRCBO3100.jpg
but again how one would fit it into a board I don't know. Likely a 4 way board would become a 3 way board. There is really no reason something like that could not be made for a single phase board likely they are. But getting them is another story.

In many boards it would only require a special duel buzz bar to allow fitting double pole. However to be type tested you can't make them yourself.

It is the same with a 16A FCU I am sure a unit to fit in a double socket box would not be hard to make so one could fuse ovens designed for rest of Europe but it would need type testing so can't make one yourself.

It is the same with a 16A FCU I am sure a unit to fit in a double socket box would not be hard to make so one could fuse ovens designed for rest of Europe but it would need type testing so can't make one yourself.
I'm not sure what sort of fuse you'd use if you made one yourself - you obviously would not be able to find a BS1362 one. A 16A MCB in an enclosure would, of course, not be a problem.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
upload_2016-2-26_16-48-0.png
Well here is a add on to make a single MCB into a double pole RCBO with neutral away from buzz bar. Easy with Photoshop not so easy in real life why are they not made?

m9xW3SpalOrqyKVI8bgn65A.jpg
we have the fuse carrier already made all it needs is something to plug it in to.

Easy with Photoshop not so easy in real life why are they not made?
The MEM RCBO pod (Eaton) attaches to MCBs, I have only used them on SP MCBs but I have an idea they also fit DP.

I suppose you need the foresight to choose a good brand of CU...

Edit
sorry, no, only SP and 1P+N

Last edited:
Schneider make DP Vigi Modules, which work in a similar way to Eric's picture, but from below (as they're schneider, and they like to be different) But the Vigi is a 2 mod thing, and even more expensive than the Eaton RCBO pods.

It looks like a gaping hole in the market - maybe someone can launch a new range in order to fill the gap in the UK market - without any competition to hinder progress!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back