RCBO (split off from old thread)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a long time I am now going to go for an all RCBO consumer unit. Well actually I'll leave the existing rewireable one in place but put new circuits on the new all RCBO consumer unit.
Most, by that I mean nearly all, consumer units seem to come populated with a couple of RCCDs and a load of MCBs Any good ideas where to get an all RCBO consumer unit without paying silly money?

++++++++++++++++++++
please do not hijack threads. See forum rules.
++++++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
In my previous house, I had a dedicated freezer circuit, wired through a dedicated 13amp fused connection unit with Neon Lamp, this was clearly visible through the kitchen door, and mounted at such a height, as to be out of reach of young kids, but easily switchable by an adult for defrosting purposes. (i.e. on the wall up behind the Upright freezer).

In my previous house, I had a dedicated freezer circuit, wired through a dedicated 13amp fused connection unit with Neon Lamp.
[I realise that this is an old thread, but ...] Fed from what? If it was really a "dedicated circuit", it presumably would not require an FCU.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In my previous house, I had a dedicated freezer circuit, wired through a dedicated 13amp fused connection unit with Neon Lamp.
[I realise that this is an old thread, but ...] Fed from what? If it was really a "dedicated circuit", it presumably would not require an FCU.

Kind Regards, John
I think it was for the neon, but I would have gone for a 20A DP switch with a neon personally

Yes it was for the Neon Indicator, and the DP switch, as the socket outlet below was an Unswitched one behind the freezer.

I think it was for the neon, but I would have gone for a 20A DP switch with a neon personally
As I've often said, I would not bother about any visual indicators of power failure (well, presence!) which may or may not get noticed - but, as I have always done, use temperature sensors with audible alarms.

As I recently wrote, in all the decades I have lived with (mainly multiple) freezers, the only potential problems I've ever had have been due to failure of the freezer, not the power supply to it - so none of these neons or whatever would have helped. My 'alarms' are set for around -10°C (with a delay to prevent activation during door opening etc.), plenty cold enough for the contents to still be OK if/when the alarm goes off!

Kind Regards, John

I have a display which when power returns shows the temperature the freezer reached during the power cut until the door is opened when it goes back to showing temperature freezer is at now. There is a green display which shows I have power on the freezer. But in real terms I never notice a power failure until I need to use some. In the main I realise there is a power failure as the emergency light is on at the top of the stairs.

Best protection to me is the simple rechargeable touch which auto comes on with a power failure. One sees things that are on but seldom things which lack some on lamp.

Dedicated supply to freezer if it trips it could be too late when you find it. I know RCD has tripped as no lights, or no TV, or no kettle, not no little green lamp on freezer is not on.

Dedicated supply to freezer if it trips it could be too late when you find it. I know RCD has tripped as no lights, or no TV, or no kettle, not no little green lamp on freezer is not on.
Sure. Particularly if I didn't have alarms, I would personally not want a freezer (particularly one hidden away in the cellar) on a dedicated circuit.

Kind Regards, John

RCBO are worth the extra money spent. My kitchen consumer unit is all RCBO. The rest of the house is split onto two RCD / MCB consumer units.

I did once toy with the idea of a beam sensor across the face of the CU that would be broken if any MCB lever was in the OFF position. Bereaking the beam would trigger an alarm. As there has not been an RCBO trip in more than 4 years I probably won't take the idea further

In general terms I like the RCBO and when my mothers house is re-wired I will use them. However there is a problem in when they trip you don't know which of the three functions caused it to trip.

In general terms I like the RCBO and when my mothers house is re-wired I will use them. However there is a problem in when they trip you don't know which of the three functions caused it to trip.
Less of an issue than with a RCD going and the fault could be on any of the ~6 circuits on that RCD being at fault.

Less of an issue than with a RCD going and the fault could be on any of the ~6 circuits on that RCD being at fault.
That's true if the trip is due to an N-E fault. However, in the more common situation of an L-E fault, one can easily identify the culprit circuit by switching off their (SP) MCBs.

Kind Regards, John

Sorry may be I did not explain the problem correctly. The RBCO has been found off, you don't know if there was a short circuit and the magnetic release tripped it, and overload and the thermal release tripped it, or an imbalance and the RCD tripped it, or simply has some one turned it off. In real terms first two are the same, and last with most trips switching off moves lever further than when it trips. But you still don't know overload of some type or an imbalance.

So one does not know if one has removed the fault after resetting. Did the kettle simply cause an over load or is it faulty.

Sorry may be I did not explain the problem correctly. The RBCO has been found off, you don't know if .....
I think we probably all understood what you were saying. At least, I certainly did!

Iggifer's point was that, with an RCD protecting multiple final circuits, there is a different problem of fault-finding, but one which can be at least as troublesome as the problem with an RCBO which you mention. If such an RCD operates, one first has the problem of ascertaining which of the several circuits was responsible - and, if it were due to a N-E fault, that would involving disconnecting each of the neutrals at the CU.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back