New consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been informed by an electrican that if I extend or add a circuit to my existing ring main that I need to upgrade my consumer unit to RCD. It currently has a Memera MCB unit(about 20 yrs old). Still has a couple of blank outlets as well. Is that right?

Sponsored Links
Give us a picture, we cant tell anything from that description.

A Memera MCB is a single MCB flying in the air for all I know.

Your electrician is almost certainly correct, if there is not already an RCD then one will be required unless the new wiring is to be surface mount, protected by earthed steel plate along its entire length, buried >50mm deep in the wall or run in SWA/ali-tube or equivalent. Out of these, RCD is likely to be the cheapest and easiest option.

Its only the circuit that is worked on that needs RCD protection, not the whole CU.

Therefore your electrician is NOT correct.

Sponsored Links
Its only the circuit that is worked on that needs RCD protection, not the whole CU.

Therefore your electrician is NOT correct.

And what other sensible route to you suggest he goes down in order to provide RCD protection? OP states CU is approximately 20 years old, therefore it's safe to assume RCBOs are not an option with the existing CU, and unless the ring is to be extended as a radial via RCD FCU (limiting the branch load on the new circuit to 13A total) then there aren't really any other sensible methods of providing the required protection.

Ergo, the electrician probably is correct.

That is just not true. The NICEIC do not call for installations to comply to anything other than BS7671.

That is just not true. The NICEIC do not call for installations to comply to anything other than BS7671.

Just quoting something I'd seen on this forum before, I doubt I can dig out the post in question, but I'm certain I read it here as it's the only electrical forum that I frequent.

And before BAS beats me to it, yes, I am terribly sorry for providing advice based on hearsay, please put me in the stocks, I repent for my sins, etc etc. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back