New Consumer Unit

As said, there doesn't appear to be a requirement to seal rear holes.

this guy uses some different grommet strip, rather than the usual stuff which falls off

Sponsored Links
I guess there are rules about breaching fire compartments, and i would guess that the new rules about the CU's being "non-combustable" feeds into a general misconception that making holes in the CU somehow needs to be "dealt with" from a fire containment POV.

I guess there are rules about breaching fire compartments, and i would guess that the new rules about the CU's being "non-combustable" feeds into a general misconception that making holes in the CU somehow needs to be "dealt with" from a fire containment POV.
Yes, you may well be right. However, as I'm sure you know and understand the truth is that the silly 'non-combustible' regulation says nothing about fire containment - so that, provided it way made from, say, metal, a CU would be compliant even if it had 12mm diameter holes all over the front, sides and bottom (achieving the required IP rating)!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Oh I remember fire stop, we had a book with all the COSHH requirements for every thing we used, except fire stop which I thought was inert, but one lad had skin problems so when home at weekend I looked it up, rather nasty stuff, and we were using it like polyfill.

Many thanks for the helpful reply.

I am not supprised that it only took 14 mins after I posted, for some numpty to say "leave it to your electrician". Some people on here forget the website is DIYNOT, ie DO IT YOURSELF, not book an over priced sparky.

Just before the introduction of part P, I was on a course with a bunch of sparkies, who were rubbing their hands with glee about all the new regs comming in, they said they were going to make a fortune.

That is what seems to be happening. Electrical wiring is now a closed shop, which is pushing prices higher and higher.
Hi, im a retured electrician.
I’ve witnessed some horrendous dangerous work that “has a sticker on it”
I was certified, no more for domestic. I can work on 415 v no problem ??
Since I retired I’ve rewired my own house then a very big extension on it. Now re wiring my step sons house that had bull stickers with a reputable contractor’s name on them. I knew it was untidy, also a new metal CU, which is whiy I made my mistake of trust. How wrong was I. someone had got hold of their period check stickers or copped them as on further inspection, I had to totally condemn the lot. Even lead in one awkward place to the kitchen switch don’t see it that often now, used to treat it like micc years ago if customer refused any rewire lol
(Tangent story ahead)
One guy I told as an apprentice in 80s that he would wake up dead one morning or choking on smoke, as he was going on about his brand new Jag. It really was that dangerous and a very big house. He turfed me out then, calling my boss and insisting I was sacked for being an incompetent little w⚓️. Boss said ill bring him in and sack him (I was by him at the time lol) he said what I did was good (4 beers on seat of van when I got in to drive home) and he knew I had tried other politer ways to get message across previously with this arrogant toff, young kids also. I was trying to save his life from a time bomb.
Think mog x with johnson. (40 years ago roughly and I remember like yesterday)
Back to it
I also found out recently because of my son that I have ADHD btw. Maybe that’s why I said what I said lol.
…….
Back to it ..
Legally, I can’t do all this, touch my own house or my family’s? take me to court and prove i’m not competent then?

I’m also up to date on 7671 and only 56. Retired due to Crohn’s Disease and Primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC) , i’ll need a Liver transplant for the latter. Add heart and arthritis also lol.
I was taught that if it doesn’t look right it is wrong. No iffs. No butts or maybes
do it, I do it right. Belt and braces
In my experience, some DIY is 100% fine and better than some don’t give a fk qualified as they take more time and care doing it. They will research it a lot as you are….old post “did” lol.
Hopefully you knew about cable runs, vertical, horizontal and 150mm internal corners and from ceiling? Didn’t burn any gables in over packed holes etc
Then there is the other end of the spectrum though …
Often charging, as in my step son’s case. These people should be prosecuted as totally incompetent. I’ve had all cpcs cut as not used at end lights, diagonal cables to save inches on cables and hardly any in switches etc. 2x 3 kw immersion heaters running tandem on 1.5 6242y (rather warm cable ) 40A breaker as apparently there was tripping problems??
2 x 2.4 6242y twin and earth, twisted together and taped to a 6mm cable, feeding a 20A old immersion heater switch on skirting under overflow of an old toilet. This then going to an 11kw brand new shower ?
It’s things like this we often come accross. I can list loads more.
Work like this proves no knowledge of what they are attempting to do whatsoever.
A recent example is an argument on fb with a landlord boasting how he had done the gas himself
He had used Speedfit 22mm to a T to 15mm then feeding tandem boilers
Totally arrogant and refused to listen how dangerous it was. Im not gas safe but mates are and I have fitted my own boiler and had them certify it for £80. But it is dangerous because pex isn’t gas safe, it is permeable to gas over time. Different gas has different fittings also as some are more aggressive to any seals and basically eat them. Add 15mm gas to a boiler? His insistent all was good as they used plastic in the road?. Road, joint is hot welded, even if same plastic it is outside if it wasn’t 100% gas tight, though im sure the chemical composition of it would make it so lol.
Try not to be too hard on sparkies, it costs a lot running your own business. Insurance, van lease, diesel, insurance, tax, tax man, vat man, as you’ll be surprised how quickly you get to the threshold supplying materials. It’s on gross turnover, not profit. Working evenings running around looking at jobs you may not get, pricing and planning jobs as well as certifications costs, on line certification for customers, college fees for regs as they update plus courses for EVs, Solar etc, tools costs, meter calibration, being responsible if someone dies if you fk up. No holiday pay, no sick pay, no pension to speak of unless your own. Plus a lot more. What you have in your pocket isn’t as much as you think.
All the best Rich. Good name choice lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back