Amd 3 fire sealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently doing my first domestic job (under duress!) since amendment 3 came into force.

I'm installing a flush mounted consumer unit into a brick wall with the cabling entering through a knockout in the rear of the unit.

What do I need to do if anything to fire seal the cable entry point in the rear of the consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
I'm installing a flush mounted consumer unit into a brick wall with the cabling entering through a knockout in the rear of the unit. .... What do I need to do if anything to fire seal the cable entry point in the rear of the consumer unit?
Good to see you! I may be wrong, but despite all we hear of 'fire sealing' in relation to new ("Amd3") CUs, I am not aware of Amd3 having introduced any requirements in relation to 'fire containment'. As far as I can see, the only requirement is that it should be constructed of (or enclosed in) "non-combustible material" - and so could probably be full of holes (IP permitting) and still be compliant!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I cannot agree as I do not know the answer.
But i do know you can buy some stick on stuff, that swells up and seals, it says its for fuseboards etc, but dont state its actually required.
Its been advertised in the PE magazine recently,

I'm also in the nope camp. At the end of the day, MCBs are plastic as are blanks, you have to be somewhat realistic.

I have come across a few where the guy that's fitted it has used fire resistant sealant and it's an absolute nightmare. Goes off like Gripfil and is equally as hard. The putty rocky talks of is slightly better but not by much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back