Please help! FTB with eicr unsatisfactory

Ah thanks for the tip Andy. Maybe the house isn't so bad after all..The main issue is not having an earth..meaning no metal sockets? Or have I missed the mark?
No it is only the lighting circuits with no earth, so no metal switches.

You can still have metal sockets if you want them. Personally I wouldn't as there are no matching metal plugs.

Sponsored Links
You can still have metal sockets if you want them. Personally I wouldn't as there are no matching metal plugs.
True (at least, I've never seen any). However, if it's appwearnce that concerns you, one can get 'metal effect' ones. For example, if one had brass sockets, one could have something like ...

upload_2021-12-23_15-12-24.png

Since there are some points where clearly an error, I would take the EICR with a pinch of salt, typical EICR to reduce selling price, not a real one. CU looks good.

Unscrewing a ceiling rose and pictures of the wires inside seems best option.

Sponsored Links
Googling houses that aren't earthed shows some frightening results, with electrocution and live appliances being up there. Am I in the same category with this house?

Am I in the same category with this house?
Probably not, but it really depends on exactly what is meant by:

No CPC to continuity of lighting circuits C2
If it means 'no CPC', then the lighting circuit will need to be rewired. CPCs have been mandatory on lighting circuits since 1966, so that also puts the cables at over half a century old.
Until it's rewired, it's plastic only switches and light fittings. Metal not permitted, and although some places sell metal light fittings that claim to be double insulated (no CPC / earth required), plenty of those are of very dubious construction.

If it means 'no continuity' as in there is a CPC present but not connected somewhere, then the cables will be much newer and repairs should be possible.

Another option is that the CPC is present at the ceiling lights but not at the switches.
Further information is required as to exactly what the problem is.

8 CPC ring main continuity higher than expected (Circuit 2) C2
What that problem is depends on how high the resistance is, and what they expected it to be.
Could be a loose or corroded connection somewhere.
Could also be that 2.5/1.0 cable has been used and the person was expecting results from 2.5/1.5.
Either way it's relatively simple to locate such problems and fix them.

The small amount of wiring visible in the picture is flat PVC, so not likely to be any problems there.
The consumer unit although relatively new is cheap junk, probably thrown in by a kitchen fitter or a builder.

Unfortunately, that's exactly it- I really appreciate all the help and answers, while some things are clarified, I feel like its going down a terrible rabbit hole!

To be honest, if you like the house and can get it at a price you're comfortable with, what is in that report wouldn't worry me too much - the obvious thing would be to ask for a price to fix the problems, and ask the person who did the report for more information on what that would involve and the associated costs.

Some of it you may choose to DIY, some you might farm out to another electrician, some of it you might decide not to do at all - thinking mainly things like labels, stickers etc ;)

My guess is some ropey DIY has been done at some stage, causing the earth to be left off on a light fitting somewhere, this can render all the others 'earth-less' and (probably) can be easily sorted out.

In the grand scheme of things, a bit of an electrical "overhaul" when you buy somewhere new is no bad thing.

HTH

Thanks Colin, that really does help. Its now a question of the best way of renegotiating with the valuation coming in 10k less for a previous survey. But as far as electrics are concerned, I think it seems okay to take a breather I hope

I'm way at the start of the application process so this was an independent homebuyers survey exclusive of the mortgsge valuation yet to come. The scary thing is if they showed 10k less, my guess is the valuation will show fairly similar- sticking me back into the negotiation predicament. Doesnt help that everythings pushed back this time of year too, not sure whete I would be without you all here helping, thank you again!

I've bought a number of houses and every time the survey has come back with a valuation lower than the asking price. Doesn't mean it is right, it is an opinion. I also doubt you'll get it reduced.

We get a house buyers report, this includes electrics, but rather general, mine for this house pointed out a disused fuse box in the void between ceiling and floor, which actually was not disused.

An EICR goes much deeper, it includes things like inspecting some selected sockets and ceiling roses, and also testing. It seems the EICR in this case is no better than the house buyers report, which technically as it includes the electrics could have the label EICR.

There is no laid down rules as to what the EICR includes, it is down to person commissioning the report, so with a buy to let property in England it would want to follow what the new law says, so would not include DNO equipment but would include many items which would normally be inspected and tested as in-service electrical equipment (PAT testing) not part of the EICR.

The LABC can and do instruct inspectors to list all items not complying with current edition of BS 7671, this is because it replaces the installation certificate, again the LABC is the client so they can instruct as to what they want.

However unless special instructions the normal is to follow the Electrical Safety Council best practice guide 4 issue 5 I don't agree with all it says, but it is still a good guide. The IET also do Model forms it does seem odd when the IET dropped code 4 that they then produce a model form with all the regulation numbers listed, however if we take 6.6 as an example "Suitability of equipment for external influences for installed location in terms of IP rating (701.512.2)" going to the regulations tells one if IPX7, IPX5 or IPX4 is required, so it is more of a guide for the inspector than for the client so he can see if it complies.

If not potentially dangerous does it matter? Well the answer is yes, if you for example want to add sockets, you need to know before you add sockets a RCD will need installing, however as said code 4 was removed, so no point making code C3 into a code 4.

In the main the model form is a check list for the inspector, but I do note worded so same item not listed twice "Presence of supplementary bonding conductors, unless not required by BS 7671:2018 (701.415.2)" note unless not required and 701.415.2 does say "Where the location containing a bath or shower is in a building with a protective equipotential bonding system in accordance with Regulation 411.3.1.2, supplementary equipotential bonding may be omitted where all of the following conditions are met:" as part of it.

But the report shown looks more like a house buyers report to an EICR, written by some one who has no idea that a SPD for example is not required in domestic premises. So I would file here upload_2021-12-24_10-50-6.png or what ever your waste paper bin looks like. And if you commissioned it ask for a refund.

although some places sell metal light fittings that claim to be double insulated (no CPC / earth required), plenty of those are of very dubious construction.
The biggest problem I see with such fittings is that they aren't designed to be safely installed with typical British wiring. Typically the only way to install them while keeping their double insulated status intact is to install a junction box in the void above the fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back