EICR - Unsatisfactory on new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a property that I was looking to rent out. Its 12 years old property so relatively new. I had a EICR done from a qualified electrican and it came out unsatisfactory which was a bit of a shock to us as we haven't done any work on electrics since new. Comments below:

Isolator (where present) is recommended for improvement. C3

Confirmation of indication that SPD is functional (651.4) is recommended for improvement. C3

For all socket-outlets of rating 32A or less, unless an exception is permitted (411.3.3) is in a potentially dangerous condition. Urgent remedial action is required. C2

For the supply of mobile equipment not exceeding 32A rating for use outdoors (411.3.3) is in a potentially dangerous condition. Urgent remedial action is required. C2

For cables concealed in walls at a depth of less than 50mm (522.6.202; 522.6.203) is in a potentially dangerous condition. Urgent remedial action is required.C2

For cables concealed in walls/partitions containing metal parts regardless of depth (522.6.203) is in a potentially dangerous condition. Urgent remedial action is required. C2

Additional Comments:
The electrical installation does not comply with BS7671, metal consumer unit partial rcd, no afdd, no spd

I have attached picture of the main consumer unit which is what the electrican was referring to. He said due to Glenfell Tower, these regulations apply from 2020 and consumer unit needs to be upgraded. Cost of replacement including VAT, Labour and materials: £550. Is the electrican correct? Also the charges seem high but I'm not sure what these jobs go for.

Attachments

• MCU 2nd.jpg
    MCU 2nd.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 135
Sponsored Links
The original installation could have been designed before mandatory RCD protection on lighting circuits , that said i am fairly certain that consumer unit is more than 12 years old.

I don’t understand the first C3

SPD - yes C3

more details required for the sockets as they appear to have RCD protection

disagree if they have RCD protection

ditto

disagree that the CU needs changing but the £550 would be reasonable for a RCBO board with SPD

hope this helps

google electrical safety council best practice guide no 4 issue 5 - this is a useful read

Hi, thanks for the reply. It is helpful. If I have understood correctly, in your opinion the current main consumer unit definately doesn't need replacing with new one but may need some additional works?

I'm not sure what the C3 is referring to either unless there's another isolator before the board?

Surge protection C3 fair enough though some on here argue whether it really should be a requirement.

The C2s in the report - has it more depth ? 4 circuits not protected by RCD depending on the way it's wired it has potential to be struck by someone drilling or nailing into the wall especially if not deeper than 50mm/mechanically protected.

Sockets are RCD protected but an older style though could do with updating.

Also I'm not sure what they are referring to regulation wise regarding Grenfell maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed a light as that was caused by an appliance being faulty not wiring.

If that figure is for a new board sounds reasonable - what were the test results on the circuits were they provided to you?

Edit If the board is under stairs or near an exit then a non combustible material would be more appropriate in a rented accommodation.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for the reply. It is helpful. If I have understood correctly, in your opinion the current main consumer unit definately doesn't need replacing with new one but may need some additional works?

yes in a nutshell

the metal consumer unit stuff was pushed then dropped ….. so the plastic CU is a C3 unless it’s damaged or there are openings beyond the stated sizes in the big book

charging electric bikes or scooters are far more dangerous

For what it's worth, I essentially agree with all of the above comments.

It is apparent that more explanation is needed for many of the C2s (and the C3s), since the meaning, and reason for, some of them is far from clear. The reference to Grenfell is particularly odd. Not only have I not heard of any such thing, but there was no change in BS7671/Wiring Regulations (the basis for an EICR) in 2020.

Kind Regards, John

In summary I think the inspecting spark needs to give more information about his coding .......................

I'm not sure what the C3 is referring to either unless there's another isolator before the board?

Surge protection C3 fair enough though some on here argue whether it really should be a requirement.

The C2s in the report - has it more depth ? 4 circuits not protected by RCD depending on the way it's wired it has potential to be struck by someone drilling or nailing into the wall especially if not deeper than 50mm/mechanically protected.

Sockets are RCD protected but an older style though could do with updating.

Also I'm not sure what they are referring to regulation wise regarding Grenfell maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed a light as that was caused by an appliance being faulty not wiring.

If that figure is for a new board sounds reasonable - what were the test results on the circuits were they provided to you?

Edit If the board is under stairs or near an exit then a non combustible material would be more appropriate in a rented accommodation.

Thanks. Yes test results were provided. Attached image. Just to add the EICR was done in 30 mins and only at the end the electrican spent maybe 1 minute maximum inspecting some of the wall plug sockets. 25 mins on the main consumer unit.

Attachments

• EICR - Test Results.png
    EICR - Test Results.png
    151.1 KB · Views: 141
In summary I think the inspecting spark needs to give more information about his coding .......................
Yes more info required ref the actual defects causing C2s (and C3s) I think, it`s quite possible, especially on some "new builds" sometimes, that all is not as it should be whereas some older installations are quite reasonable and deemed satisfactory.
When we inspect we do so and code according to how it compares to todays regulations not to those in force on the day it was built.
It is more than likely that in that time period some C3s have crept in but less likely for C2s unless things have deteriorated during that time.
The Grenfell reference is a bit of a red haddock though.
We really need to know the actual defects to give an opinion of C2, C3 or no coding .

Regulations change, things get damaged, additions/alterations get made that might be OK or not. It all factors in, or might do.

Apart from the Cooker circuit CPC being incorrect - think that should be 2.5 the results look okay.

I'd have liked to have seen a separate ring/radial for the kitchen but that's maybe just me. You've got 22 sockets what size property is this.

Apart from the Cooker circuit CPC being incorrect - think that should be 2.5 the results look okay.

I'd have liked to have seen a separate ring/radial for the kitchen but that's maybe just me. You've got 22 sockets what size property is this.

Its a 2 bed house. 58 square metres.

Maybe he's a fast runner then as Murdo says! Or did he have an assistant shorting things out for him?

No it was just the one guy the electrican who visited the property to do the EICR. Not sure sure what the best way forward is - to get a 2nd opinion from another electrican or replace the CU. The electrican charged £100 for this EICR.

Thanks. Yes test results were provided. Attached image. Just to add the EICR was done in 30 mins and only at the end the electrican spent maybe 1 minute maximum inspecting some of the wall plug sockets. 25 mins on the main consumer unit.

How much were you charged and where in the UK is the property?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back