Need some advice on a EICR

... I plan to get a CU in the future, but it will be in-between tenants to reduce any upheaval for them.
If the current CU is otherwise satisfactory, other than being plastic, I would suggest that you get advice from someone who is sensible, and who you can trust (and who is not 'looking for work') before you have that done, because, as I've said, it might really be unnecessary.
I feel this has been unfairly tested and is just taking advantage, and feel the comments on this back this up and the currant installation is safe.
As you will hopefully understand from what I have been writing, I totally agree.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
This guy is closer. Don’t know if close enough.

Answered your non fire rated downlighting question John. C2

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Code breakers

At least they publish their (relatively sensible opinions) where by a spark can cover their ass.

... found it without watching the rest of the twaddle.

So he and NICEIC are just WRONG.
Also NAPIT for all the nonsense about stairs and CUs.

These people are responsible for all this confusion and unnecessary work ripping-off the public.

It really is incredible. WTF is happening to Britain?

Perhaps they should write a guide stating things are notifiable which aren't - just to be on the safe side give the LA 200 quid.

... found it without watching the rest of the twaddle.

So he and NICEIC are just WRONG.
Also NAPIT for all the nonsense about stairs and CUs.

These people are responsible for all this confusion and unnecessary work ripping-off the public.

It really is incredible. WTF is happening to Britain?

Perhaps they should write a guide stating things are notifiable which aren't - just to be on the safe side give the LA 200 quid.

He is an idiot as well. Calls a CU a fuse board many times. Takes VAT off £100 and gets £80 instead of £83.33, and charges well over the top. As for what happens at the end I'm speechless.

I have gone back to letting agent to pass my questions and concerns over (questions on the first post) to the electrical company and they have just responded with the following:

We have reviewed the EICR again and stand by what we have advised, the parts where the LL suggested the work doesn't need doing due to the regs is a really grey area, it depends on the engineer as to whether they would recommend the works or not - and rather we say they do not need work and an issue were to arise, that would leave us liable for not recommending these works be completed.

We might be airing on the side of caution, but we would rather be safe than sorry.

Is this a fair response, and not to answer my questions? Not sure what to do next!

Without reading it all again:

Their reply does not make sense.

With the new regulations for landlords, C2 is not advice nor recommendation; it makes it mandatory that you resolve the issues within 28 days.

As for "airing" on the side of caution ...

they have just responded with the following:
We have reviewed the EICR again and stand by what we have advised, the parts where the LL suggested the work doesn't need doing due to the regs is a really grey area, it depends on the engineer as to whether they would recommend the works or not - and rather we say they do not need work and an issue were to arise, that would leave us liable for not recommending these works be completed.
We might be airing on the side of caution, but we would rather be safe than sorry.

Is this a fair response, and not to answer my questions? Not sure what to do next!
I would say that is, at least from their viewpoint, fair enough.

HOWEVER, as EFLI has pointed out, I think that you should try to get them to understand that if, as they say, the feel that they should "recommend" certain work, then they should give a C3 (which means precisely that), NOT a C2 which, as EFLI has said, in the context of rented accommodation renders the work 'legally required'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back