New Consummer unit with one rcd that won't set

Milller, Has it been resolved and would you care to comment on what the issue was ?

Sponsored Links
Not yet. Awaiting my electrician to call round and I will leave it to him to install and test etc.

My thoughts is that is something to do with the neutrals of the rcbo's. But as I said before, beyond my level of knowledge.

I'm thinking of having more of the rcbo's anywhere and having one rcd, with just a few circuits like, cooker, imersion etc, with all ring mains, lighting, firealarms etc on the rcbo's. I wait and see, what my sparky suggests.

If you've connected the board like I mentioned above then the RCBO's will be picking their neutral up from neutral bar 1 via the flying lead. This is before the main RCD's so won't affect them.
Obviously the outgoing circuit neutral will be connected directly to the RCBO so again won't affect the main RCD's.

If you've connected the board like I mentioned above
Incoming neutral to main switch. Outgoing neutral from main switch to neutral bar 1.
You should have a neutral from neutral bar 1 going directly to RCD1. The outgoing neutral from RCD1 should then supply neutral bar 2. All final circuits fed from RCD1 should have their neutrals connected to neutral bar 2.
then the RCBO's will be picking their neutral up from neutral bar 1 via the flying lead. This is before the main RCD's so won't affect them.
Obviously the outgoing circuit neutral will be connected directly to the RCBO so again won't affect the main RCD's.

Yes it WILL affect the RCD feeding to LIVE to the RCBOs as the returning current in the neutral will NOT be going through the RCD feeding the RCBOs

Sponsored Links
Earlier in the thread he said that the RCBOs were fed from the main switch and not either of the two RCDs.
Some boards have three busbars - main switch, RCD1 and RCD2.

I appreciate there would be a problem if the RCBOs were fed via an RCD.

Earlier in the thread he said that the RCBOs were fed from the main switch and not either of the two RCDs.
Some boards have three busbars - main switch, RCD1 and RCD2.

I appreciate there would be a problem if the RCBOs were fed via an RCD.

Yes that's correct RCBO's were fed from the main switch by the busbar, RCD's were connected via mk live split load leads (in series to live side of each rcd) as well as neutrals leads from neutral 1 (to neutral 2 and neutral 3) to feed each rcd individually.

RCBO's neutral flying leads went to neutral 1. The only difference between rcd 1 (the one which tripped as soon as any load was applied i.e. turning on lighting mcb) and rcd 2, were that the rcbo's earth flying leads were in the same earth bar as said load earths (albeit both earth terminals were common). A conundrum!

All the earths go into the same rail, they should go into the correct terminal for the circuit number though.
What are you using the RCBO to supply? There is a possibility of a shared neutral which would cause a correctly connected CU to trip, or there could just be a fault on the circuit it is feeding.
Can you upload a piccy of the wiring in your CU?

All the earths go into the same rail, they should go into the correct terminal for the circuit number though.
What are you using the RCBO to supply? There is a possibility of a shared neutral which would cause a correctly connected CU to trip, or there could just be a fault on the circuit it is feeding.
Can you upload a piccy of the wiring in your CU?

It was a stacked cu, so it had two earth bars, but both were linked by a earth lead. rcbo's fed via busbar from mainswitch. Old fuseboard which currently feeds all old circuits, has rcd which does not cause nuisance trip. Unfortunately, my digi camera gone u/s (seems tob my luck at the moment).

In anycase leaving all for my electrician to sort out, in the next week or two. But thanks everyone, for all your help.

Have you done a continuity test across neutral and cpc on the suspect circuits? Disconnecting the neutrals from the bar first of course?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back