New Consummer unit with one rcd that won't set

Sponsored Links
What are the insulation resistance readings from the 'live' conductors to earth?

Before |am told off for doing something illegal, I am a qualified electrician (albeit 25 years ago). I've installed a new stacked (12 x 2) MK consumer unit in my house. A part p qualified friend of my will test the system and certify.

It doesn't look like the installation has been tested yet.

I've reached my level of expertise. I'll leave it for my part p qualified electrician to come round, test and resolve the problem.

In answer to the many helpful post: mains neutral from 100amp switch goes to neutral bar 1, then a mk split load cable to neutral bar 2 to feed the first rcd. Then a second cable from neutral bar 1 to neutral bar 3 to feed the second rcd. All the rcbo flying neutral leads are connected to neutral 1. Each rcd has a separate neutral bar for the circuit neutrals.

It is the first rcd, which keeps tripping. I swapped around the rcd's and the fault still presents itself. If I wire the circuits from the tripping rcd into the second rcd, everything is fine.

I shall now leave it to my electrician, but thanks for the helpful replies.

if that is the case miller, then you have installed it completly wrong. Unfortunatly i will not advise you any more as you clearly have poor electrical knowledge and are claiming to be alot more competent, and possibally beleive you think you are more competent than you actually are.

I hope your electrician knows his stuff although he is breaking the law if he is going to sign this work off as his own which kind of brings his reputation into question.

Sponsored Links
I've completely b*****ed the wiring of a CU and I'm conspiring with someone to lie and break the law.

I take a pride in my workmanship.
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl5.gif

My heart is bleeding now....seriously :(

What's it going to take to stop people ****ing around with electrics.

Incoming neutral to main switch. Outgoing neutral from main switch to neutral bar 1.

You should have a neutral from neutral bar 1 going directly to RCD1. The outgoing neutral from RCD1 should then supply neutral bar 2. All final circuits fed from RCD1 should have their neutrals connected to neutral bar 2.

You should also have another neutral from neutral bar 1 going directly to RCD2. The outgoing neutral from RCD2 should then supply neutral bar 3. All final circuits fed from RCD2 should have their neutrals connected to neutral bar 3.

You're correct in connecting the neutrals from the RCBOs to neutral bar 1.

Incoming neutral to main switch. Outgoing neutral from main switch to neutral bar 1.

You should have a neutral from neutral bar 1 going directly to RCD1. The outgoing neutral from RCD1 should then supply neutral bar 2. All final circuits fed from RCD1 should have their neutrals connected to neutral bar 2.

You should also have another neutral from neutral bar 1 going directly to RCD2. The outgoing neutral from RCD2 should then supply neutral bar 3. All final circuits fed from RCD2 should have their neutrals connected to neutral bar 3.

You're correct in connecting the neutrals from the RCBOs to neutral bar 1.

Sorry, not explaining myself very well. This exactly how my cu is connected. As I said, I wait until my electrician comes round and wires it correctly and tests it.

Is the live bus bar to the RCBO's fed from the output of the RCD that will not set. ?

If yes then are the neutral feeds to the RCBOs ( Not the load side neutrals ) taken from the neutral OUTPUT of the RCD or from the INPUT of the RCD.

If taken from the neutral INPUT to the RCD then the Live supply to RCBO protected circuits is passing through the RCD but the Neutral return from the RCBO protected circuits is NOT passing through the RCD, imbalance and trip.

...I shall now leave it to my electrician...

It might have been a good idea to do that before you screwed it up.

Have you comprehended what others here have said about Electricians breaking the law by signing off work which they have not done?

How do you propose to deal with the fact that you are now going to ask your friend to break the law just to cover your sorry RS?

Maybe you should have stuck to nailing those back boxes in!

I know im new here but im begining to wonder if it is responsible to be commenting in a constructive manner on these types of posts. Work that falls within the scope of part P that is. This post, and his previous post is quite frightening, imagine that someone gets killed, i am not sure i would want any part of that on my concience.

I am aware that there are certainly pleanty of jobs around the house that the average DIYer could do, some of them included in the part P scope, but there are other things that in my humble opinion should not be carried out by anyone other than qualified competent people.

Yeah you're probably right. It's not like anyone will carry on regardless if they are not given any advice.

All work on the fixed wiring in domestic dwellings in England and Wales falls under the scope of Part P. ;)

Yeah you're probably right. It's not like anyone will carry on regardless if they are not given any advice.

A point well made.

I'd personally prefer to help as much as I could and not sit on a pedastol looking down whilst bleating silly unhelpful comments.

It's just not the spirit of this forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back