RCDs and RCBOs..Whats the difference you may ask?(Off Topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

harrisonline

I read on the other Electrical forum an old discussion about RCD's and American GFI's. In this discussion it was stated that RCD's do not give Overload protection, however I would like to point out that this is wrong, RCD's DO give overload protection, only basic, but it is there.

For example, a 100A 30mA RCD will trip if the difference between the load on the Phase conductors (Live and neutral) exceeds 30mA or if a 30mA or higher current is detected on the CPC (Earth). Further, if the total load being drawn through the RCD exceeds it's maximum rating, then the RCD will trip and disconnect the circuit.

However, and this is where many people get confused by this, a standard RCD does this by electronic determination of the load current via the detection circuitry unlike the MCB's and RCBO's. The torus forming the heart of the RCD has a small detection circuit attached to it via an op amp. The magnetic field detected by this circuit is carefully measured and if it exceeds a certain thresh-hold, as determined by the maximum load rating, then it will disconnect the circuit

To clarify this, RCBO's combine the operation of the MCB and the RCD into one unit. The RCD part operates in exactly the same way as the standard RCD, however for overload protection the RCBO contains magnetic or thermal trips, in good quality units, such as MK, Merlin-Gerin and Hager, the RCBO contains BOTH thermal and magnetic trips, just as an MCB does.

It is these differences that dictate the use of such devices. RCBO's are used to protect individual circuits that need that extra level of safety, but overload protection is still a vitally important aspect, whereas RCD's are useful, in certain circumstances, for replacing Isolators in Consumer units, Distribution Boards etc where effective disconnection may be required in an emergency or for maintenance etc, but overload protection is not required.

I hope this clarifies the difference between these devices, a proper understanding of the devices will certainly help to determine their proper use.

You think we are peanuts or something?

Sponsored Links
He maybe does, but Big_Spark, FWLenginner, ETHunter or whatever he calls himself nowadays doesn't post here anymore, unless he has another username.

Sponsored Links
YAY!!!! he's back...

now be a good boy and behave BAS.. it's been hard work feilding it all myself today...
:LOL:

YAY!!!! he's back...

now be a good boy and behave BAS.. it's been hard work feilding it all myself today...
:LOL:

You know what BAS is like, it's impossible for him to be good & behave, he loves to argue & wind up/ call the mods names.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

That first post took nearly 2 and a half years to get a reply!

Looks like the DIYnot.com Garden is about a popular as the Blue Peter garden.

again..... 2004 people..!!!

please check the date before replying to long dead posts..

Given the thread was resurrected and prominent, I thought my post was an important safety clarification for the unsure and unwitting and I'm surprised no-one's made the point before.

I'm sorry that it doesn't sparkle with you.

BAS called me a name once, I didn't log on for 24 hours That'll learn him.
Silly old cart.....

Reminds me of that Monty Python sketch where the guy could not say the letter "C" and used a "B" instead.

Silly bunt

:LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back