Light bulbs

Sponsored Links
E27 usually refers to the standard size screw type bulbs, bayonets are refered to as B22 for the standard and B15 for the small size bayonets. Can you describe anything else about it, eg what it is for?

Hi can anyone help, i've just installed a 3 headed garden lamppost, i'm getting power to the post and to the bulb holder's but when i fit the bulb's no light. On the instruction's it does say "use E27 GLS type bulb's only and no other type", could'nt find this specific type so tried E27 ES.

E27 does, as site admin points out, refer to standard size edison screw (ES) fitting.

GLS (Or General Lighting Service) refers to the "bog-standard" bulb design.

What they're saying is don't use reflector type lamps or candles etc...

Are you sure they are screwed home sufficiently? - don't force them!!

When you say you're getting power to the post, is that live AND neutral?

Sponsored Links
Hi securespark, thanks for info on lightbulbs, they are screwed home sufficiently, yes power to the post live and neutral.I am using original wiring that was used to connect 2 outside light's,only difference is i've connected a waterproof junction box with the intention of using it for another light at a later date. I disconnected the cable from the junc box to the post and fitted a plug and connected to a extension lead just to prove the post worked ok it was fine.

So what you're saying is the post is in fact lighting up, so there must be a problem with the supply??

yes there must be, can't understand why post not lighting up if power is reaching post, unless i'm doing something fundamently wrong,

Hang on, now I'm a bit confused.

When you connect up the fitting to another source of supply, it works,
so we know the lamps and fitting are sound.

If this is fact, then there must be a fault with supply to the post, but you say the power is reaching the post.

All these things cannot be true, or your fitting would light up no probs.

there is one thing that hasn't been checked, the acyual connections in "jb" to post

post works , supply works, what about connections between both?

Hi, thank's for all the advice, just a quick note to say i traced fault back to a cut in the original wire that had been repaired, i must of disturbed it when wiring to post, have now rewired from switch to JB, work's ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back