New cooker - Old house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently moved into an older house (1977 ish) and I have just bought an electric double oven to replace the old gas cooker.
The house has GCH which has replaced the electric boiler(no longer exists).
Before I attempt to install the oven (with 10mm2 cable), I have a couple of questions:
1) When I moved the old cooker, i noticed a covered socket behind it, presumably where an electric oven had been installed previous to the installation of gas. There is also a 'neon' 45a switch? on the wall above the work-top which doesn't illuminate when switched (both are wired to something?) how would I safely test both of these to know what they are connected to? if they are live or dead? or if the light on the switch is faulty?
2) If I pull the 'cooker fuse' out from the CU, can I be sure that the switch is indeed on the cooker circuit and is dead? If I isolate the the whole CU, how would I know if i'm on the correct circuit or not?.

Probably getting myself into a fluster, but rather be safe than sorry, your input would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No sure way of checking this without proper test equipment ( a wet finger does not constitute proper equipment)
Either buy a test meter or call a professional, what price safety?

Thanks for your reply Qedelec,
Just nipped home from the office at lunch time, I pulled the the cooker fuse to find out if anything else may have been wired up to the afore mentioned socket/switch (such as the GCH or shower unit)...no joy everything static as before.

I'll will call in a sparky and get the whole house inspected... should maybe get him/her to install a modern CU while they are at it.

Thanks again.
Best regards.

Sponsored Links
Good call, I used to do all my own electrics before becoming an electrician and thought I was safe but there are no end of things you don't know. A thorough PIR should take a few hours and will highlight all the areas that require work and prioritise them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back