New Countertop...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 year old laminate counter tops in my kitchen. Unfortunately, I want tile. The type of tile counter tops that are recessed, or framed..like a table with a tile top. Does that make sense?

Once I remove the existing counter, how do I build, or what do I build to acheive the look I want.? I want the new top to be the same 1 1/2" in thickness. :oops:

thank you for your help!

Sponsored Links
chick7t7 said:
The type of tile counter tops that are recessed, or framed..like a table with a tile top. Does that make sense?
Do you want to recessed into the exsisting worktop you have now or start again ?

I did this in my kitchen I used two sheets of 15mm ply glued and screwed together then fixed a 38mmx10mm hardwood strip to the front glued and pinned then tiled the surface using fastflex adhesive(don't know if this was overkill or not, I'm not a tiler but its still ok 6 years later).
grout with epoxy grout to stop spillages staining your grout (not a fun job you cant just smear it on like normal grout).

Use WBP or preferably marine ply with a wooden edge trim.

Say your tiles are 1/4", then lay 1/2" ply followed by 3/4" ply, stager the joints then tile on top. Adjust thickness of ply to suit thickness of tiles & adhesive.

Epoxy grout will be the most hyginic but tricky to use.

Jason

Sponsored Links
OK...what's the big deal with the epoxy grout? Spill the beans! I have never used it or heard of it, until researching this project. But then, I only have 3 tile projects under my belt. Can I get this stuff at any HI store?

So the one ??? I don't think got ansewred was should I remove the existing top, or can I go right over it.
My question really is, "What should I do? As in whats is recommened[/u]? To remove or not? Sometimes people want to know the qickest easiest way to do the job. I want to know what is the qickest, correct way. I would rather spend a few more hours even days to do it the right way.

Being a girl and learning all this crazy stuff for the fun of it, has my male friends saying, "Well it probably won't last." I love to tell them my prcedure and watch them look like ..."Oh...wow.. :eek: (hehehehe)

If you tile ontop of the laminated top it will be thicker than 1 1/2" which you say you dont want, so remove it.

Epoxy grout is very messy and hard to clean off the tiles, you will have to get it from a tile shop not a DIY store. Also use a flexible adhesive to allow for movement in the ply, prime ply with what the adhesive manufacyurer recommends

Jason

Just to add that I once tiled a worktop & used epoxy grout but I would never use it again. I agree with the other comments; very messy.

the best way with epoxy grout is to work with two of you. only mix up half a tub at a time and use a filling knife to apply it take a small amount and spread it onto a board to about the thickness of the gaps then cut off small rolls of the grout with the knife(again the size of the) gaps and press it in.
Get the second person to work after you cleaning any excess off the tiles and smoothing the joints.
If using epoxy I personally wouldn't bother with the exspense of marine ply as the grout is totally waterproof.
I believe you can also get grout sealers which will go some way to preventing staining.Jason will probably be able to enlighten you more on this front

I am heading to the store now to get the supplies. I need. Should I or shouldn't I use epoxy grout? If "No", I shouldn't use it, any recommendations?

Thnaks so very much! ;)

It will give you the best finish and its what you should really use on work surfaces.Its not particularly cheap but you could always stick a few spare tiles to a bit of ply and have a practice first to see if you get on ok.No need to rush into a discission it seems like you have a bit of work ahead of you before you get to that stage.

Thank you ... I am looking forwrd to you and the others help. I know I will need it!!!

Iabbrw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back