Tiling a kitchen countertop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put down a wood base on a kitchen countertop before tiling it.I'm worried that plywood might de-laminate if it should get wet.Is there a better type of base I can use or will sealers and waterproof cements and grouting be adequate protection?.Also will the cement hold tiles to a formica top?

Sponsored Links
Ply would probably be OK, I used a double layer of chipboard glued and screwed together with the joints staggered for strength and give a coat of oil based paint to seal the surface, you can then tile the front edge or use a hardwood or whatever moulding. If done correctly no moisture should get to the board, make sure you use an acrylic waterproof grout as the surface will take quite a pounding over time.
I did mine about 7 years ago and still looks great.

ok i know it's a bit old but...... has anyone else tried to do this?? if so any hints/tips would be very welcome.

[edit] forgot to mention i'm going to be using mdf instead of chipboard - would that going to cause any problems??[/edit]

cheers

^^punt^^

update have been told NOT to use MDF as tiles don't stick (or something.?)

anyone else got any tips?

tatar

Sponsored Links
Exterior plywood do not de-laminated in the wet, I got one in my back garden and it's still the same with all this rain !
I mostly use damage or 2nd worktop which give you a big discount and turn it upside down ! (solid chipboard type)

masona said:
Exterior plywood do not de-laminated in the wet, I got one in my back garden and it's still the same with all this rain !
I mostly use damage or 2nd worktop which give you a big discount and turn it upside down ! (solid chipboard type)

hand't thought of the damaged worktop thing - good thining batman. :D

so have you ever seen/tiled a 'tiled worktop'? intrested in how to go about it, plus any possible drawbacks (i can think of food/liquid sitting on/staining the grout but that's about it - well the grout cracking Etc but i can't see any reason why not to have a tiled top)

king.module said:
plus any possible drawbacks (i can think of food/liquid sitting on/staining the grout but that's about it - well the grout cracking Etc but i can't see any reason why not to have a tiled top)
You should have no problem at all.

Get a proper worktop grout which is design for food in kitchen, can't think of the name but got some sort if resin in it that will not stain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back