New Deck?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

Im planning on building my first Deck next month. Now from reading several post's on here i see it is fine to use 4x2 instead of 6x2, this sound s great as it should save some pennies! However what is the recomended spacings for 4x2 for joists and supports?

The area i will be doing is approx 2.5x6m which will be fixed to a concreate path one one edge and supported via post's on the opposite side onto top of a wall. I was pondering how to attach it to the wall but have seen on the site you can get proper anchers for that! so thats good, the rest of the supports will be concreted into mud.

Here is a pic of where its going

Sponsored Links
Thanks Freddy

But I cant make head nor tale of that chart :oops: can anyone just tell me the recomended space for the joist and supports..... :D

use rawl bolts to secure it to the wall. i always space joists at 400mm centres. if you are going off of concrete i normally space the supports at about 1.0m centres up the joist. probably overkill but my decks dont bounce! Once youve done it walk all over the frame and youll find any bouncey spots.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Thermo

Was planning on 1.2m for the supports and 500mm for the spacing as that would even things up nicely for my job! do you think I would get away with that or is the 500mm pushing it a bit.

This may sound daft but I presume i need to suport "all" the joist every 1/1.2m? also do I have to do each support individually or can I put a strip of 4x2 across all joist and support it off that?

cheers

depends on the thickness of the boards, but yes you could get away with 400mm, but its only an extra joist or two.

yes you can put a cross joist under them if you have the room. thats what i do on high decks.

Hi Thermo

From what you just said! I assume that it is not essential to support the inner joist, just the external ones? if thats the case that will save a lot of diggin. Thanks again

no you wiull still nedd support on the inner ones, just not so much if you are using a counter joist.

Ok thanks for clearing that up :D

Thanks for all the help you have been great:cool:

Just thought Id update my original Thread on the subject....not done yet mainly due to the weather! but the area looks so much better already:)

DSCF0021-1.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

will put a couple more up once all the fencing is up.

1. How do you get onto the deck - i can't see any steps! I'm sure you've taken this into account :D

2. How high from the patio is the top of the deck? Looks like you might need a handrail (certainly will if over 1m, at least according to my local BCO).

Other than that, looking good.

Hence the bit not done yet (ie not finished)

Will be putting up a hand rail on 3 sides and leave the part closest in the picture open. There is a path running up the left hand side to get up to it.

WabbitPoo said:
1. How do you get onto the deck - i can't see any steps! I'm sure you've taken this into account :D

2. How high from the patio is the top of the deck? Looks like you might need a handrail (certainly will if over 1m, at least according to my local BCO).

Other than that, looking good.

were told 600mm by ours, but many customers dont

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back