New Deck?

Crafty said:
What kind of construction is that house? Looks interesting!

Interesting? thinks you need to get out more :D

I believe it's made from concrete slaps with iron bars inside for strength.

Going to see if I can get a mortgage on it next year! not sure if I can with the current walls remaining.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

Finally going to get this finished!!

Need some advice.

1.Is there a recommended spacing between hand posts?

2.On the corners of the decking where im going to put a post! I have lots of screws holding the outer joists together going into a piece of 4x4. How do i get around that to put the Hand post in the corner??

URL These are the posts

If anyone has used a similar post, could you please post a pic of how you attached it in the end.

OK, Iv decided after taking a look to move the post the deck is raised on from the corner to one joist in! that will solve the problem with placing the corner hand post's!

So just need to know if there is a recomended spacing for each hand post, I know the riser's need to be a max of 4" apart from googling it.

There is no hard and fast rule here and as long as you ensure that you don't compromise structural integrity by having too few posts, it's about aesthetics really ... I wouldn't have greater than 5' between posts, how much less is down to you ;)

Regarding spindles, you already know that a 4" ball should not be able to pass between any of the spindles to be compliant with the regs and just under this is an aesthetically pleasing spacing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks magawatt :)

I have one more question! now I have put up the Posts.

How do you make them sturdy?

At the moment they have 2x M10 bolts going through them and the 4x2, there is no sideways movement but its quite wiggly forwards and backwards.

Here is a pic

I was thinking about putting a piece of 4x2 parallel to the front joist behind the post and then another piece between the to. If thats no could could you advise me the bast way. :)

neil

put another fixing through the joist that is running 90 degrees to the one that youve already bolted through. also doing as you have suggested will help

Thermo: You may not have noticed from the picture but the OP has rebated the post so it won't be possible to do as you have suggested ... It would have been my advice also. ;)

The frame to post fixing looks a bit weak also IMO

MW

your right ive looked at the enlarged picture now.

youve got two choices, frame around the post and fix through it with something like timberlocks etc or use galvanised angles to secure it to the joists at the back and side.

I personally never rebate posts in this way, I prefer to bolt them to the inside of the frame and 90 degree bolt to joists.

trouble is with rebating them is you automatically weaken them as you have a smaller cross sectional area. We tend to use timberlocks as they give a very secure fixing and there is no chance of them becoming loose

wow guys steady on your losing me?

rebated does that mean cut the bottom out? if so they are all ready like that from BQ.

I agree with megawatt I would like to bolt it to the frame and a 90 degree joist but thats no really possible.

So I'm just going to have to build up the frame more...cheers guys will let you know how it goes :)

Also...what are Timberlocks....googling brings back nothing.

try timberlok. they come in a variety of lengths from 6" to 10". They are self driving "screws" for want of a better word that are very strong and ideal for this sort of thing.

Ah thanks for the heads up thermo :)

Spent the day sorting it out! didnt get any of the Timberloks as I only just saw your post...but I didnt need them in the end anyway.

Here are a couple of pics of the finished posts pics.

Pic 1

Pic 2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back