new dewalt flat cell battery

Sponsored Links
Hikoki have been doing a low profile 18 volt 3Ah Li-Ion battery for use with tools like the cordless 2nd fix guns for a couple of years now (same size as the older 1.5 and 2Ah packs). Nice to see DW catching up (y):D

All we need now is for Makita to do the same - assuming that they aren't too busy strapping oversized 40 volt batteries onto everything for the next few years to remember their main market :rolleyes:

knowing the volatility off lithium batteries i wonder how much difference and how they will cope with reduce heat dissipation from not having a metal case as a heat sink also the gaps around a round battery and the insulating effect off any plastic type material in the cell wallo_O

Yes seen these powerstack in my newsfeed, out December just in time for Crimbo, i'll make sure the mrs reads this thread. Are there any trade shows coming up?

Sponsored Links
I've admired the concept of the DeWalt Flex volt system for the power that brings, but I don't see these batteries being such a gamechanger. Modern cells mean batteries are already quite light, and brushless motors give good power and performance. People also tend to have a few batteries too so I don't see any real value in this new system - so I won't be trading my Ryobi in just yet :cautious:

I've admired the concept of the DeWalt Flex volt system for the power that brings, but I don't see these batteries being such a gamechanger. Modern cells mean batteries are already quite light, and brushless motors give good power and performance. People also tend to have a few batteries too so I don't see any real value in this new system - so I won't be trading my Ryobi in just yet :cautious:
as you know i used to and still do praise ryobi buuuuut now they have upped there game to towards heavy duty but there prices have gone from 40% off the cost off big boys toys to around 80% off the cost and the batteries are near £15 an amp where as dewalt are £11 or £12 for four and five amp batteries dewalt 44-48 for a 4 amp 55- 60 for a 5 amp and ryobi 65-70 4 amp and 75-80 for a 5amp

watched a few youtube video on Tuesday following an email about the new batteries, v Milwaukee , I think as a DIYer, not really going to be of interest , perhaps if i had the smaller Atomic series, but no plans to do that at all. maybe they compare with the 12V series for size and weight but bring the extra power

watched a few youtube video on Tuesday following an email about the new batteries, v Milwaukee , I think as a DIYer, not really going to be of interest , perhaps if i had the smaller Atomic series, but no plans to do that at all. maybe they compare with the 12V series for size and weight but bring the extra power
i for one wont actually be buying any new batteries untill they go from the "new" overpriced i may perhaps indulge when the price drop by perhaps 20% to nearer "normal " battery prices
when you look at my batteries i have 5x54 2ah batts 2x4ah and 2x5ah batteries so 12ah at 54 and 18 at 18v that doesnt sound more than a bit over the top but if you convert the total ah to 18v its a massive 48 ah :eek::cry: so another battery will be no more than a challenge to work out iff its more compact size or weight is worth the extra cost but not to me but others as i enjoy a challenge or opportunity to experiment (y)

Last edited:
I think you are right, @ETAF, and that it depends on the sort of use you are going to put things to. As I get nearer to retirement I can see me no longer needing the heavy (cordless) kit I use for work to do simpler DIY tasks around the house like putting up shelves, installation a new kitchen, hanging the occasional door, etc. (I am still proficient with a jack plane, so doing without some power tools might be good for me physically). With than in mind I've already acquired some 12 volt kit (brushless drill, brushless impact driver and jigsaw - the jigsaw was OTT, TBH) and I intend to add a brushless SDS drill and a brushless multitool. Everything else by way of power tools will be (is) corded. These 12 volt tools have already been used for lighter tasks at work, such as snagging and kitchen fixing, and for DIY work at home were I am finding the modern 12 volt stuff to be a lot more powerful and capable than the 12 volt NiCd/NiMH kit I had 20-odd years ago. As I do lessof the heavy work I reckon the 12 volt stuff should be more than adequate for what I want

Last edited by a moderator:
... i have 5x54 2ah batts 2x4ah and 2x5ah batteries so 12ah at 54 and 18 at 18v that doesnt sound more than a bit over the top but if you convert the total ah to 18v its a massive 48 ah :eek::cry: ...
Sheesh! And people say I have issues :rolleyes: You, sir, are power mad :sneaky:

i got my first bosch 10.8v oscillating tool perhaps 12-15 years ago and gradually built up a basic kit and had perhaps 6 or 7 tools i now have perhaps 18 or 20 and is my go too tool as light and powerful in general they are lower geared so push above there weight they have 3x 3.6v batteries as opposed to 5 x3.6 v off an 18v battery they seem to be capable off around 70-90 % off what a 18v will do but at a slower rate rather than the 60% off the battery suggests [3/5th=60%]
as an aside the batteries are all 3.6v as standard recognized mid point level but on charging will be around 20% overcharged so around 4.32v so claims off 12v/20v/60v are overclaming rather than 3.6/7.2/10.8/14.4/18/21.6/25.2/28.8/32.4/36/39.6 and so on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back