new digital camera.....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hub left digital camera on roof of car and drove off and it is now damaged!!!!!!
I was fuming with him for his stupidity!!!!

I huffed and puffed about it!!!

He tried to wriggle out of it by reminding me how I had once gone twelve miles for fish and chips and left them in the car park!!!!!
(I had 3 kids, aged 2,3 and 5 at the time... some shopping and a bag of fish and chips etc. I had set all this down by the boot and put the kids in the car and strapped them all in then got in the car myself and driven off, forgetting to pack the chips in!!!!!!!!!!!!)
A loss of about a tenne

however, the camera is a loss of a couple of hundred!

so..... we need a new one... any suggestions please for a simple to operate, lightweight small digital camera for 200 quid??

Sponsored Links
Snap!!! dropped mine other day only 10ft :oops: Cant understand why it do go anymore :confused: Well it cost £240 in 2001 so wont be taking it for repair :LOL: .was going to ask same question re, good replacement so will watch this topic with interest.

toffee said:
however, the camera is a loss of a couple of hundred!
Insurance? Accidental damage...

so..... we need a new one... any suggestions please for a simple to operate, lightweight small digital camera for 200 quid??
You can get good ones for less than that, but they are not ever so small. The compact ones tend to be expensive.

Start browsing the camera mags in newsagents etc - they run tests all the time.

Depends of course on whether or not you can afford another £200+ to replace the one you lost, or if you just want a cheapie in substitution.

However, you have have in your favour the fact that as with all technology, prices keep coming down, so you may end up with a much better camera than the old one, for a much better price.

I recommend this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...1.Photography>C$cip=36810.Digital+cameras.htm

I have to admit, I've never heard of the make - but argos have a 16 day money-back guarantee, so if it's crap, take it back!

It's definitely an incredible price for an 8 megapixel camera. To put it in perspective, I paid £100 three years ago for mine which is 1.3 megapixels. It now lives in a drawer because the camera on my phone is better!

Sponsored Links
ninebob said:
I have to admit, I've never heard of the make - but argos have a 16 day money-back guarantee, so if it's crap, take it back!

FYI, unfortunately the cameras have this condition...

Please note that this product is excluded from our 16-Day Money Back Guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights.

All depends what you want it for, as it is easy to be sucked into thinking you need to spend a lot more than you really do.

If you are just looking to take family snaps, like you would have been happy to on a cheap-and-cheerful 35mm point-and-shoot a few years ago then there's no need to spend that much.

I bought a 3 MegaPixel camera new on eBay (from Germany) about 4 years ago for about 70 quid and it is still going strong. Picture quality is more than good enough for me, and they even look good when printed out. You can even double the resolution by some jiggery-pokery button on it as well if you want. Only thing I wish I'd gone for is an Optical Zoom.

i agree with optical zoom, one without is a pain, since to "zoom" it enlarges the pixels in the area zoomed in on, optical zoom doesn't do that.

Ive got a canon750 ixus...very pleased with it

Dont buy ANYTHING in the shops though...I used pixmania and saved a fortune

Had a quick look round today. hmmm seems the Viewfinder is going out of fashion :eek: and some cams only have the preview screen in place of the viewfinder!!! My old samsung 3.5mp cam was great but the preview screen was hopeless in sunlight... Have these improved??
Another issue... My old cam took ages to fire up ready for shooting.. Have start up times improved??
Suprising how so called camera experts in these shops only know if its in stock and how much for extra cover :LOL:

I run a website which requires people to send in daily photo's the best of which are from a chap using a FinePix S5600 the pic's are consistantly really really good costs less than £180.

Richardp said:
I run a website which requires people to send in daily photo's the best of which are from a chap using a FinePix S5600 the pic's are consistantly really really good costs less than £180.

ah...yes i myself own the one before this model "S5000" and it also takes very good pictures upto 6mill and with 10x optical - 2.2x digital..it as all the bells & whistles if need be..i like the fact that you can take a picture from some distance away,and then on playback zoom right in and crop the photo on the camera's screen.

camera.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back