new digital camera.....?

Screens eat batteries. Try to manage without using it as often as possible, i.e. don't buy a camera without a viewfinder.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Screens eat batteries.

no, i just cant picture that. At least they are LCD, think what it would be like hauling a mini CRT around with you everywhere. digital cameras pre-LCD technology must have been very heavy :LOL:

and ban, rechargeable batteries are a godsend :LOL:

have got a fuji finepix F11. and... no.. no viewfinder!!!!
the camera is small but I wish there was a cover for the screen to prevent scratches. also, it is hard not to touch it!!!

still, least I have a camera for hols.

crafty1289 said:
ban-all-sheds said:
Screens eat batteries.

no, i just cant picture that. At least they are LCD, think what it would be like hauling a mini CRT around with you everywhere. digital cameras pre-LCD technology must have been very heavy :LOL:

and ban, rechargeable batteries are a godsend :LOL:

funnily enough early video camera's used tubes for the picup then a second tube for the viewfinder, both effectively mini CRT's. My Grandfather bought a sony F1 system and as well as the above the cassette went in a seperate recording unit, halled over the sholder. It all weighed a bloody ton, not so bad with the camera as this helped steady the shot and it also sat on your sholder!
Needless to say that video never went any further than the garden :LOL:

Sponsored Links
previous to my fuji S5000,i owned a casio qv-8000sx 2.5 screen-no viewfinder,on a sunny day vision is lost owing to reflection from the screen...So if you can go for one with a viewfinder combined with the screen.

Hmmm .... Thanks for the advice... I was thinking along those lines regarding battery drain and sunlight affecting the screen then I read in the spec for this camera........

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s32821.../Finepix-F11-Zoom-Digital-Camera/details.aspx

2.5 LCD screen
The F11 Zoom hasn't just got a big LCD monitor, it's also a clever one, adjusting itself to the level of ambient light at the time of shooting. If you move from bright sunlight into dark indoors, the LCD automatically gains in illumination to enable you to see all of the detail of the shot. Even when the camera is switched off, pushing the playback button enables

........and wondered if above was just patter...... Will go and see if I can get a demo tomorrow.
Cheers..

don't listen to what Jessops have to say they want to sell the bloody thing :evil: why don't you read some proper reviews - I think people have generally helped you enough, certainly given you enough advice it is up to you now ;)

you can't beat a good test drive...let's hope the sun is out for you.With increasing technology every day with sensors the f11 could fit the bill..
But i am sceptical..

toffee said:
have got a fuji finepix F11. and... no.. no viewfinder!!!!
the camera is small but I wish there was a cover for the screen to prevent scratches. also, it is hard not to touch it!!!

still, least I have a camera for hols.

Fuji seem to make a pretty decent camera, just brought a new 1GB XD card for mine for about £30 which I thought was a good price, I can get
412 x fine 5.1mega pixel photos on one card and another 206 on my old 512MB.
Are you going somewhere nice abroad toffee?

olly_k said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0634?v=glance&n=560798&s=electronics&v=glance sounds like the sort of camera you want but above all goto Jesops or curry's or wherever and make sure you are comfortable with the feel i.e. try b4 u buy!

BTW check out www.dpreview.com & http://www.steves-digicams.com/[/QUOTE]

olly_k said:
don't listen to what Jessops have to say they want to sell the b****y thing :evil: why don't you read some proper reviews - I think people have generally helped you enough, certainly given you enough advice it is up to you now ;)

Yep thanks olly. great site thet deepreview. but me eyes were going red reading through looking for comments on veiwfinder v lcd only and if bright sun will make them u/s.
anyhow day off tomorrow will be able to see for myself.... :LOL: sorree to be a nusiance.
cheeers.

spark... no!!!!!!!!

north east of scotland......... still I love it there and cant wait. like our lake district on a bigger scale.

The Great Battery Shootout! - (2005)
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM
From
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

I mainly use viewfinder for shooting and LCD screen for some edits and menus... Having said that, the tiltable lcd is nice to have
lcdmonitor03-001.jpg
lcdmonitor06-001.jpg

Allows use overhead (in crowds) or eases use from waist level or tripod.

There must be some half decent 2nd hand kit out there.
My Olympus Camedia has been superceded several times since 2003 - but remains a good little package... ( Has that elusive 'Mag' alloy body' so it should burn well ).
My 1980'ish OM1 F1.4 SLR remains a nice capable piece of kit ... There is little substitute for quality... 25 yrs plus from new, well used, never a fault.

This is neat, no separate viewfinder, but is water and shockproof - to a degree - 7.1 MP.
olympus_mju720sw_frontback-.jpg

Olympus Stylus 720 SW
;)

confidentincompetent said:
Spark123 said:
I have a fuji finepix F460 which is ideal, I brought it as the finepix generally got a good writeup in Computer Active. It takes excellent pictures, uses XD picture cards, approx 200 pictures in 5megapixel fine on a 512MB card. The only downside I found is lack of a viewfinder.
Currys website, note printer is also selected. XD card is also extra.

I'm about to get a fujifilm finepix f11. But! it's got no veiwfinder like yours. According to the spec from jessops it says the lcd screen adjusts to light conditions. Are they all like this now? Would you say dont get one without a viewfinder ?.
Thing I like about this one is fast start up 1.3 sec, long battery life, etc. and got a good write up in computer active. I'm only after something for hols, smaller the better.
cheers.

It depends, I found it quite awkward to use in bright light, especially getting the thing level so I have a few skew-if photos. I wouldn't say don't get one without a viewfinder if you are intending it for mainly indoor use, but for outside in bright light imo a viewfinder is a must.

Just got a canon A530 as a holiday camera..

£130 Here

Have been amazed how good it is (rivals our fuji s9500 except on the zoom)..and it uses AA batteries, so you can use rechargeables[/url]

Sponsored Links
Back