New Dimmer Switch & Halogen Bulb = Flickering Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We wanted to switch to dimmable lighting in the nursery so i went to B&Q and bought a dimmable halogen bulb (seems you can no longer buy incandescant bulbs) and a dimmer switch SINGLE 1-WAY 400W (as opposed to the 250W).

So I installed the bulb and switch and whilst things work fine at low or high light levels in the mid range the bulb flickers.

Its a bog standard mains lighting circuit, one switch, one bulb. Did I buy the wrong type of switch or is something else wrong?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi, you don't have a large enough load on the dimmer, that's why it's flickering. Fit a higher wattage lamp.

KA :D

Thanks for the reply and explanation. Will replacing the switch with the 250W one not achieve the same? I would prefer the room weren't any brighter.

Look on the back of the dimmer. It will say something like 60-400W
If your lamp is less than 60watts then there's your problem.

The 250W dimmer may have a lower threshold. It will be written on the back.

Sponsored Links
I would prefer the room weren't any brighter.

You just bought a dimmer switch!!! :rolleyes:

As other have said you either need more load on the dimmer or a smaller dimmer - you can buy low-load dimmers now, down to 10 watts, designed for dimmerable LEDs, but will work with single halogen lamps.

Thanks for replies, I exchanged the dimmer for the lower 250W version but still got the same flickering issues.

In the end I just sourced a good old incandescant bulb and it now works fine.

Look on the back of the dimmer. It will say something like 60-400W
If your lamp is less than 60watts then there's your problem.

The 250W dimmer may have a lower threshold. It will be written on the back.

FYI

The 400W dimmer said 60 - 400W
The 250W dimmer said 60 - 250W

Most 250W dimmers start at 40W.

Your previous lamp was probably 42W, so an issue for the 60W+ dimmers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back