New DIY installation nearly finished: Certificate (PartP)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I started rewiring the whole of my 3-bed house in Oct 2003 and have now nearly finished.
I have half a ring main to finish of and the sockets to put on (plus a couple of extractor
fans to wire up (wires are in place, fans almost in place)) Anyway, you get the idea.

I want to get an electrician in when I'm finished and ask him/her to inspect the work for
fifty quid or so and give me a test certificate saying it is all OK. This I want for house insurance purposes. because of PartP I feel I may now be running out of time. Am I?

I heard that one has 3 months to finish off works in 2005 since the Part P (party pooper?)
law came into effect on 01 Jan 2005. (and I have only weekends to work on my electrics.)

So, two questions.

Q1. Can I legally finish all or any of this work off? If so, how long have I got?
Q2. Do I need to finish before a certain date, e.g. March 2005, in order to be able
to get an electrician to produce a *certificate* for the work?

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Q1. Can I legally finish all or any of this work off? If so, how long have I got?
Yes, all work started prior to Jan 1st 2005 is exempt from Part P.

Q2. Do I need to finish before a certain date, e.g. March 2005, in order to be able to get an electrician to produce a *certificate* for the work?
Following from the above, no.

If Part P had applied you would have had to give prior notification to your local building control office. Mind you it's an interesting point abou the end date, but you're still exempt.

If you want to get clarification from here http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_buildreg/documents/page/odpm_breg_033480.hcsp feel free.

IanDB said:
Yes, all work started prior to Jan 1st 2005 is exempt from Part P.
Great news. :) Thanks very much for that. So, how do I go about proving that then?
Will the certifying electrician ask me for some kind of proof?

I also have a circuit for my garage power, but it only goes as far as the back door as
I have yet to buy some SWA cable to bury. Indoors cable is connected to the CU
as I am using this simple radial garage power circuit indoors whilst I finish of the
ring main. Is this garage circuit exempt too? (Perhaps that's stretching it a bit?)

Thank you.

Will the certifying electrician ask me for some kind of proof?
I suppose if you contacted somebody now then you could reach agreement on that. If you left it until much later then you might have to go through the whole nine yards. (And yes, I'd go for the garage circuit on that one too!)

Sponsored Links
tricia said:
I want to get an electrician in when I'm finished and ask him/her to inspect the work for fifty quid or so and give me a test certificate saying it is all OK.
By all means ask.

Don't expect anbody to say "OK", though....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back