New domestic installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys,i have been working as a electrician for the last two years but previous to this as a gas service engineer for a company,which consisted of only commercial and domestic service and breakdowns. Ive replaced boilers and repaired pipework but never fitted a complete system as yet.

Anyway ive bought a house which needs a full system fitted which i will install.I just need some advice or constructive comments.

I have included a quick diagram of what i intend to install.One problem in the house is ground floors are concrete so i will be a embedding some pipework in the walls and may use plastic pipe for this for this.Not by preference tho.

I know i will have to calculate rad sizes etc but have a look at the diagram and see what you think.

I live in a standard 3 bedroom semi detached and would like to keep main flow and return to the boiler in 22m on the landing and branch to each room/downstairS radiator from there in 15mm if possible.

i have my l8 qualification for condensing boiler install and reg sorted etc so will be fine on the complicance front .

No boiler chosen of yet,just sussing out the system first.

Heres the pic
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o74/coupedummy/?action=view&current=Boilercircuit.jpg

any advice is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Thats pretty much the standard for installing a heating circuit. Why did you leave gas work to do electrics??

As an apprentice my original company wanted my to do electrics as a second trade.As it happens with aprentices they never increase your pay no matter how loyal you are.
So i left to look after a branch of 30 buildings mainly doing electrical tasks and installations and has been nearly a 10k rise on what i was on previously and to be honest never looked back since.

I will be keeping my gas up and will start using it more i think starting here.

Would it be problem branching off in 15 to feed three rads on the top right of the pic?

I will treat the water with inhibitor and scale protection on cw inlet.Can anyone reccomend one that works ok?

Although its not the best practice, you can branch off to a few rads in 15, and just require a bit of balancing. I've seen 8-9 rad systems all on 15mm before with no problems.

Sponsored Links
I will treat the water with inhibitor and scale protection on cw inlet.Can anyone reccomend one that works ok?

No, they're all pretty lame IMO :rolleyes: but I live in very hard water region, so it might be in your area they might work better. The Hydroflow HS38 that BG recommend is supposed to be good, but nothings 100% apart from a softener, and then you open up a new can of worms :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back