New doors - disturbing silicone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We’ve just had some new French doors fitted. It’s only been about 18 hours since the silicone was applied, and I’ve been opening and closing the doors a lot, checking an issue with the latch.

Might this have been bad for the silicone as it will still be curing? Just to clarify, I hasn’t touched the silicone, but I’m guessing it might get disturbed by all the movement of the doors.

Also, whilst I’m here, the issue with the latch/lock is that most of the time when you lift the handle, the key won’t turn. You have to then lift the handle again, as it is very stiff and doesn’t seem to want to go all the way unless you really give it some welly. Is this likely to improve over time, or should I get the fitters back to adjust it? We also just had a UPVC kitchen door fitted (same brand and fitters) and that handle is much easier to lift and the lock always turns.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks but I genuinely don’t know about the key not turning. We had a front door a while ago that was a bit sticky but improved over time. I’m thinking you’re most likely suggesting it needs looking at again, but I’d appreciate it if you could confirm either way.

Sponsored Links
If you leave the door ajar and then put into lock position does the key turn, if so I would suggest its down to latching system slightly out of position for things to operate correctly although time and wear may correct this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back