New doors, locks and painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Firstly I apologise as wasn't sure if to put this in carpentry or painting/decorating.

I have several new white primed doors, already hung in to new door linings.

I have yet to drill for locks and handles and was wondering if this should be done before undercoating and gloss. I intend to paint using a mini roller (and also debating if to take off the doors or just mask the hinges).

If I were to drill and cut holes for the handles and locks in the door and the frame latches, I would take them off again before painting...I just like the clean lines between door furniture and the paint itself.

Just wondering if there is a known preference or if it doesn't really matter... appreciating that paint can be a couple of mm thick.

Many thanks

John

Sponsored Links
I always fit all furniture then remove and paint door flat which gives a better paint finish avoiding runs. Ideally door needs total coverage to prevent movement due to humidity levels in the home.

yes, and I greatly prefer lift-off hinges which make it so much easier.

They seem to be coming back into fashion, especially for fire doors, which are very heavy.

Thank you both. So put on all the furniture on to the doors and frames, then take off and then paint. I was veering towards that.

The door frames are bare wood but suppose fixing latch plates and then taking off for primer, undercoat and gloss will be a marginal difference in thickness of paints.

Think I will get less door runs using a mini roller but will still need a brush for the panel details...so taking off the doors will ensure no runs as you have both suggested.

Once again, many thanks.

John

Sponsored Links
There is a slight advantage in using a smaller (shorter, thinner) screw until final fit. It means you will not be wearing out the pilot holes and making them loose. It is particularly important in hollow doors and useful in fire doors which may be made of moulded chipboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back